Wilko classic lager additions will yeast supplied be enough?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesey

Reaction score
Ay up !

Doing the above later today

Before I start tell you what I’m doing

1kg brew sugar
500g light spray

Is yeast supplied sufficient to chew through above?

Or am I best going brew shop and buying a packet of summat else

Thanks

If you have a Wilko nearby buy a packet of their ale yeast and brew at about 17-18*C, but no lower than 16*C. Homebrew shops will sell it as GV12 or Nottingham. Alternatively buy a pack of Kolsch yeast from Crossmyloof Brewery online. Keep the Wilko yeast in the fridge as a spare

Terry , are you saying use yeast supplied and get a Wilko or alternatives you’ve mentioned as back up ?

Cheers ma duck

Eyup me duck
Your kit yeast will probably cope with the extra sugars you have added. However some kits are supplied with barely enough yeast to do the job and your kit may be in this group especially if its only a 6g pack. If you buy a separate pack of dried yeast you will get 10g upwards which is enough for most beers fermented above about 16*C. Using a Wilko ale yeast or GV12 or Nottingham yeast (they are all the same apparently) at the bottom end of the yeast temp range can ferment clean and produces a 'pseudo lager' according to some members. Another alternative is to use a Kolsch yeast which can ferment at ale temperatures and will also give the same sort of lagery profile.
In the end the choice is yours.
Personally I would keep the kit yeast as a spare and use the Wilko yeast type yeast or buy the Kolsch yeast.
But if you go ahead with the kit yeast it might be worth getting a back up in case it stalls.
https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/

Latest posts

Back