Wilko Fermenter as Pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

Reaction score
Just what is says really. I bought on of the Wilko fermenting vessels like this one in a job lot second hand and I'm wondering if I can use it as a secondary fermentation pressure barrel.

The plastic is not as thick as my pressure barrel, and I'd need to make some kind of adaptor to plug the rubber bung hole with an S30 valve fitting.
I'm worried that the tap may not be up to it, or if others have tried it and no better than I do whether this is, or is not, worth doing.
I'm new to all this, and I welcome any thoughts you may have.

Thanks
Chris

Do Not Do This!!!

It will end up very messy.

But seriously...... Do Not Do This.
The fermenters are not pressure rated. At best, they will spring leaks. At worst, they may explode or the seams rip and you will have a lot of cleaning up to do. That is ignoring any damage that may be caused (to either you or the house) by the fermenter giving up when you pressurize it.

Do Not Do This!!!

It will end up very messy.

But seriously...... Do Not Do This.
The fermenters are not pressure rated. At best, they will spring leaks. At worst, they may explode or the seams rip and you will have a lot of cleaning up to do. That is ignoring any damage that may be caused (to either you or the house) by the fermenter giving up when you pressurize it.
Thanks for your take on this Pavros. I'd fit some kind of pressure relief valve - we only need enough pressure to push beer out of the tap. In fact, gravity will do that if I replace the volume of leaving beer with CO2. I'm seeing a weight on a lever which olds a rubber pad on a pipe to the interior. It would be easy to set the relief pressure by knowing the area of the pipe, the size of the weight and the mechanical advantage of the lever.

Just thinking out loud here. I know how annoying it can when someone asks you for advice then ignores it! But I'm not ignoring yours, rather I'm hearing it and coming up with ways to accomodate the dangers you have highlighted for me, and I'm documenting them here in case othrs have comments on those as well as my original question. Thanks once again for your time and effort. Chris

If you want to check out whether this fermenter can be pressurised, do a hydrostatic test to destruction. Buy another fermenter. Fill with water. Drill the cap and fit a Schrader valve and pressure gauge. Take fermenter into the garden and pressurise until it leaks. The small amount of air will dissipate it’s energy quickly provided the air space is small. The pressure gauge will tell you if it’s pressure tight (if you stop at small intervals) until it breaks and you’ll know the limit. But as said above, it’s not made to be pressurised above a few inches of water pressure. Keep safe ashock1asad.ashock1asad.ashock1asad.

Just been on the Wilko site. Strike what I said above. Take your fermenter back and exchange it for a pressure barrel at £35. Cheaper than buying 2 fermenters.
Thanks Buffers, but I bought it second-hand so returning it isn't an option.

I understand thattypical; conditioning pressure is 10 PSI, so I will make apressure release valve which vents at 11psi.
I'll fit it to the barrel, then test it by forcing in water from a mains tap until the valve vents.
Maybe, by adding more weight to my valve I'll double the target pressure.
I'll then leave it at pressure for 24 hours and seewhat happens.

If all that goes without incident, I think I'll risk it.

Thanks all, for your comments.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes..

One thing to keep in mind is as it's not designed to be pressurised the fermenter will have a flat bottom ashock1. This will bulge under pressure and cause the fermenter to rock. Not the end of the world.....until it bursts asad.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes..

One thing to keep in mind is as it's not designed to be pressurised the fermenter will have a flat bottom ashock1. This will bulge under pressure and cause the fermenter to rock. Not the end of the world.....until it bursts asad.

Excellent point - thank you again. Hopefully my test pressurise will see if it's an issue.

My Wilco PB will become an FV tomorrow due to 3 tap leaks.

Will fit airlock and bingo I hope it can earn its keep that way because as soon as pressure builds it leaks from seal - as there isnt a locking nut

As cheeky aside mate has loaned me bottom tap KK [used once] but can I fit a float or ir that a 70 y-olds bonkers question ?

Thanks for that BB - did you buy off the shelf and / or adapt in any way

Great to know I can do it and as you havn't mentioned using a longer syphon tube and / or a more flexible to be I am guessing not

Incidentally ... If I used PB as a fermenting vessel could I remove the gas input rubber seal and let the CO2 escape via valve and up a pipe fixed in a bottle trap ... filled with water of course

Latest posts

Back