Wilko fermenter question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin1209

Reaction score
Hey guys, basically I recently got the wilko brewing kit and intend to start off soon! I've brewed a few before with a house mate so it's not completely new to me. I noticed that the wilko fermenting bucket shuts very tight, to the point that it's actually quite hard to get the lid off, I'm sure that this will get easier and easier over time, but there is also no air hole in the lid, so the gas can't escape? Should I leave the lid half clipped down or something, and maybe put clingfilm around so it's harder to for air to get in? I will get an airlock and stuff in time, but in the meantime how can I do it without?

Much appreciated.

From what I've read, most buckets aren't completely gas tight anyway - I guess if you notice the lid bulging badly, you've got a good seal :)

My advice would be to pick a decent hole cutter up from eBay, I got one for about 6 quid, and get yourself an airlock

Hi,

I got a wilko fermenter awhile back. I use a rubber bored bung used in a Demijohn for wine making and a bubbler airlock. Both also available from wilkos and cheap enough. The plastic lid of mine was also really easy to cut - a craft knife/Stanley knife worked fine.

However, before I discovered airlocks I had just put the lid on loosely with no ill effects. Or you could cover with a damp tea towel (if you want a really old school way).

Some breweries use open fermentation, so no lid is also an option. Though risky.

Given the amount of CO2 produced I imagine fitting it loosely and allowing it to blow open to release pressure would be fine. And CO2 is heavier than oxygen so even if a bit of air gets in it'll soon get displaced by the CO2.

And finally, a bit of air in the wort is good at the start of fermentation. You're meant to aerate the wort prior to pitching yeast to give it a good start.

Latest posts

Back