Wilko gervin yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseBrew

Reaction score
Hi all, what's the highest abv you can expect to get from a wilkos gervin and how does it compare to yeasts in the coopers kits? Cheers!

I've not used a kit yeast for a couple of years (I've ended up using them to bake bread) and swapped them out for Wilko Gervin yeast. I've always found it to be reliable and gives me about 85% attenuation (but I'll double check that), it always kicks off well and never had a problem with it sticking. I usually re-pitch from the trub three times from each pack and when I've re-pitched it, it goes off like a rocket. The highest ABV I've had with it is 9% on a Simply Stout.

Brilliant. Is it easy to re use yeast from the true?

I bottle and brew on the same day so when I've finished bottling I fill two sanitized, primed bottles about 1/3rd full of trub (one for just in case but never used it) put the lids on and put to one side. When everything's been cleaned and my next wort is ready I just rinse the bottle out a couple of times with wort into the FV. You can store the trub in the fridge for a week or so but when you are going to use it give it 24 hours at room temperature so as not to shock the yeast when you pitch it.

Latest posts

Back