Wilko IPA kit to 'NEIPA' Using Cellar Dwellars Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePour

Reaction score
Inspired by this video, (further discussion and recipe here), I am planning on making a (very inauthentic) NEIPA from a Wilko IPA kit I picked up in the sale.

The video and recipe use a Cooper's kit as the base and then does a mini-mash plus all the hops to customise it. Now looking at the original Coopers instructions, it says add 500g Light Dry Malt + 250g Dextrose. in the video, only 500g of DME is added but the mini-mash I assume adds some fermentables.

The Wilko kit asks for 1Kg of DME/sugar and still only has a final ABV or ~4%.

If I am doing the proposed mini-mash, how much extra DME/sugar should I add if I want to take it up to >5%?

I think that what I need to know is what the mini-mash is giving me in the way of fermentables?

(I guess I can just keep adding DME etc. until I hit a relatively high OG or brew short)

Anny thought and comments are welcome. Many thanks.

Recipe here:
1.40 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 34.6 %
0.35 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 8.6 %
0.10 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC) Grain 3 2.5 %

40.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 4 13.5 IBUs
40.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 5 15.7 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 6 5.6 IBUs

0.50 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 7 12.3 %
1.70 kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale EDIT (11.0 EBC) Extract 8 42.0 %

Go to brewer's friend and input all your ingredients. The wilko kit is 1.5kg so just input that as 1.5KG medium LME.

That'll tell you everything you need to know.
If it comes out short you can adjust the ingredients until you get to where you want to be.

Remember if you add hops the IBUs will be skewed from what's already in the kit.

I have found that kit to be quite bitter so I wouldn't add anything other than whirlpool and dry hop.

Coopers kits are 1.7kg LME. Wilko kits 1.5kg LME, So if you are following the recipe exactly all you need is to add 200g of LME to make up the shortfall, or about 175g DME. Otherwise do as @fury_tea has suggested punch the numbers into the BF calculator.
Coopers product data for the AuPA kit is 340IBU which equates to about 25IBUs if you brew 23litres.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-kit-ibus.40600/
Personally I don't find that very bitter (bottom end of ordinary bitters), compared to other beers, and so the additional IBUs from the hops in the recipe may not be too problematic.
However, you have unknown IBUs in the Wilko kit and if it is a true representation of an IPA is likely to have more than the AuPA kit, even though the kit size is smaller.
Choice seems to be yours. athumb..

Last edited:
A belated thanks to you both. I'll add the recipe to BeerSmith (as I have it installed) and take a look at the BF calculator too. I'm hoping that the extract isn't tooo bitter but a little bit won't do me any harm.

Thanks again.

It depends which Wilko IPA kit you have - the cheaper one (£12 normal price) is 1.5kg but the Feeling Hoppy IPA (which has 10g of Amarillo hop pellets) is 1.8kg. I didn't think the Feeling Hoppy kit was very bitter when I made it up to 20 litres but my tastebuds may be shot and I did add 50g Citra and 50g of Mosaic as a dry hop :D

Latest posts

Back