Wilko IPA tweak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minder

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just started a Wilko IPA kit, added 1kg muntons beer enhancer plus 500g light spray malt (this is the 3rd one I've made)
I'm going to add some hops, I was thinking 50g of fuggles as I like the flavour and aroma of hogsback T.E.A.
I'm not expecting it to taste the same but do you all think it'll come out ok?
I've also got 50g of cascade.
Any advice would be welcome.
This is my first go at adding to a kit.
Thanks.

In my view, 50g is quite a lot to add on top.
But if it's one of those American style IPAs and to a traditional British ok be, then you might be correct.

Typical traditional ales would often use a mix of fuggles and East Kent Golding's, the EKG being more aromatic than the fuggles.

(Lol replying on phone with autocorrect is quite annoying, I've had to edit this a few times to fix words)

In my view, 50g is quite a lot to add on top.
But if it's one of those American style IPAs and to a traditional British ok be, then you might be correct.

Typical traditional ales would often use a mix of fuggles and East Kent Golding's, the EKG being more aromatic than the fuggles.

(Lol replying on phone with autocorrect is quite annoying, I've had to edit this a few times to fix words)

Thanks jof, my phone doesn't like anything I type either lol.

How much would you add? The Wilko IPA is nice with the added spray malt, but doesn't have a great aroma or hoppy flavour for me.

Two of my favourite hoppy ales are T.E.A and dark Star hop head.

If you're making an IPA then adding too much spray malt will make them less hoppy. I've done some split batches with spraymalt vs sugar added to IPA kits and the sugar ones were far better and I recommend no more than 50/50 malt/sugar. It seems to go against the 'rules' but all malt isn't always for the best.

50g of cascade definitely won't be too much as a dry hop, it's a great starting point. Remember not to add it too early - 4th day at the earliest. Or you can make a hop tea and add it on bottling day or the day before. I've tried that in split batches, too, and I preferred dry hopping to a hop tea, but not by much. Dry hopping is easier, though.

If you're making an IPA then adding too much spray malt will make them less hoppy. I've done some split batches with spraymalt vs sugar added to IPA kits and the sugar ones were far better and I recommend no more than 50/50 malt/sugar. It seems to go against the 'rules' but all malt isn't always for the best.

50g of cascade definitely won't be too much as a dry hop, it's a great starting point. Remember not to add it too early - 4th day at the earliest. Or you can make a hop tea and add it on bottling day or the day before. I've tried that in split batches, too, and I preferred dry hopping to a hop tea, but not by much. Dry hopping is easier, though.

Thanks for that Drankula, so basically adding more malt flavour dumbing down the hops in the kit?

You'd go cascade over fuggles?

You'd go cascade over fuggles?
Yeah, too much malt can dull the hops. After my experiments I was glad to hear Genus Brewing and Gash Slugg saying they add a bit of sugar to IPAs even doing all grain.

I'd go cascade if you want that more citrussy hoppiness. A lot of people really don't like fuggles as a dry hop and I've never done it, just heard that it's dank and can be grassy. Some do it, though. I was planning a 5 litre split with it as a dry hop but haven't got round to it.

Go with Drunkulas advice, as I always do a partial mash & add my last hops at flame out.
I tried dry hopping recently, replacing the flame out hops. It gave a more subtle flavour than I was looking for, so maybe dry hopping requires more hops than I thought.

I've made this kit twice. Both times short brewed to 20 litres with 1kg of brew enhancer.

As i like hoppy US style IPAs, I dry hopped one with 50g mosaic and 50g of citra. The other was dry hopped with 75g of Falconers Flight.

Both were very good if a little on the thin side. If I make it again, I would make it with 1kg of spray malt but would have to think about Drunkula's comments above.

If you want a citrussy IPA, then use the 50g of cascade. If you want a more traditional style, then fuggles/EKG is the way to go but I wouldn't know how much to use. 50g sounds too high so 30g may be the way to go unless someone with experience of using these hops can chime in.

Great, thanks for you comments all.
I may split the batch and do a hop tea at bottling, using both hops, at least I'll get an idea of the difference in flavours

I have just bottled a similar recipe to yours. Coopers IPA made with 1kg Coopers brew enhancer and 500g dlm. I added a hop tea with 15g Fuggles and 15g EKGoldings. I also dry hopped with 25g of cascade as an experiment. When I bottled it did not taste too bitter but still awaiting a full taste test. Maybe try just 30grams of hops at first and try more next time if needed, that is my plan. I'm also considering trying some cold steeped carapils malt for my next IPA to see if it an improvement. Good luck!

I have done the hoppy bitter a few times pimped with 1kg amber dme 500g of tate & lyle dry hopped with 30g of challenger on day 11 4 days then 3 days in the shed, it turned out nice

Thanks aw72, that's my next plan is to do part grain whilst saving up to go biab.

I bought 25g hop tea pellet bags from crossmyloof
I'm thinking 25g hop tea of fuggles in one 10l and the same of cascade in the other at bottling time.
Does that sound too much?

To me, 25g of cascade as a dry hop in 10 litres is fine but the same amount of fuggles sounds too much. I would have thought 15g in 10 litres would be better.

Thanks Pavros, I'll go with those measurements and will update as I go.

I agree, if you are adding a hop tea before bottling 25g of Fuggles may be a bit much. I think a split batch is a good idea to learn what works and what you prefer. Maybe try hop teas of 25g of Fuggles and 25g of Cascade in each batch but leave the fuggles hop bag in for less time, 15 minutes instead of 30? to make it a weaker taste? From what I've read Fuggles gives more bitterness but less fragrance than cascade. It would be a good experiment to compare the two.

Latest posts

Back