Wilko PB Tap leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Bought new one of these and have a Wobblygob Mixed Fruit in it (clearing)

Noticed over weekend the tap has a leak - and I fiddled with the position to try to cure it. It was after it kept leaking I noticed there was a pinhole or minor crack on the front of the tap unit itself

So anyone encountered this before please ?

Anyone have a clue how I might reduce the leak. At the moment I have daubed it on the front with Vaseline but could I superglue anything over the area with any hope of success ?

I visted my local Wilko and explained the situation and asked if they would give me a Tap instead of me exchanging all the Barrel and they were happy to do that but on looking they only have Taps with "washers" and this one just screws into the Barrel so my last question is there a Tap that would do the job please and I will fit once the Cider has been drunk

If not it will be a complete Barrel change or maybe a refund

Many thanks all - I know as usual "the answer(s) will be out there"

Thanks terrym

May have to pop in to local HB S . I am pretty sure tap is a simple screw in type into the body but as I bought it in June (20) I cant say for absolutely sure it was (an age thing again) and of course I cant look as its full of Wobblygob

My doubt further springs from the fact that it has a 4" lid which would allow washer fitting to rear of a tap and I think did I ?

Unfortunately the one in the Shop yesterday had the tap fitted and internally semmed to half an internal over over the threads - like half a table tennis ball so I couldnt see anything there either

Also unsure of thread size is it IS a simple tap and was hoping someone might know for sure. If not I will go in another Wilko and have a look at another.

Have tried to daub exterior of Tap around the leak with vaseline and hope this reduces the leak for now

Cheers again Wp

The "pin hole" you see is also on mine. The correct tap position is exactly 90*.. obviously in the "off" position! If it's before or past the 90 it can/will leak.
Have you had the tap in bits for cleaning?
As you say there's a bulbous bit behind the thread so doesn't use a back nut.

@Wherrypuzzled
To safely vent down a PB (without removing the lid) or in your case to replace or inspect the tap on a PB which has liquid in it, put the PB on its side with the tap uppermost but chock the sides of the PB to stop it rolling over. You can then work on the tap without losing liquid. If you have the tap off for any length of time put cling film over the hole.

The "pin hole" you see is also on mine. The correct tap position is exactly 90*.. obviously in the "off" position! If it's before or past the 90 it can/will leak.

Hi Clint - No I only bought this in June (right at the end) - so it was new

I know you can strip them down to add vaseline but I would have only done that after 4 or 5 brews rather than on a new 'un

Will try your "dead on" 90 degrees suggestion - as well as the vaseline I have daubed on because the Wobblygob therin is "rather good" and I want to keep as much of it from leaking as possible

@Wherrypuzzled
To safely vent down a PB (without removing the lid) or in your case to replace or inspect the tap on a PB which has liquid in it, put the PB on its side with the tap uppermost but chock the sides of the PB to stop it rolling over. You can then work on the tap without losing liquid. If you have the tap off for any length of time put cling film over the hole.

Thanks again terrym

I will probably do exactly that if I can get the right tap. Presumably once on its side and chocked I could open tap steadily to vent the gas and then having prepared the new tap screw that straight in.

The Cider is really good and will have 39 and a half pints still in there - so would you suggest / advocate a second batch of "sugar solution" for another secondary Ferm

Cheers JT

If you lie it down as @terrym suggested, you should be able to pop the tap apart and apply vaseline to the spout then reassemble. With mine, I found I needed to shorten the threaded spigot on the back of the tap to get a good seal between the tap and barrel.

Cheers Wynne - but the crack that is bothering me is on the outside of the Tap and because its totally new I didnt expect it to leak

When it did I suspected the usual internal leak and maybe (I thought) I should have greased the new tap up before us

Then I found this hairline crack which must be positioned in the window on the tap when the tap is closed. So that is what I am trying to fix and if Clint reads this I have followed his suggestion and gone a dead 90 degrees with exterior vaseline and it looks promising !

Probably end up taking Barrel back OR finding an under 3 quid tap that wont cost another £3 or more to ship.

Thanks again Wynne - thanks for reply

Super tip by Clint as this seems to have cured the problem - by simply putting the lever of the tap at 3 o clock or due east or at exactly 90 degrees. Cheers Clint

I dont know why the Tap leaks if past that position - whether there is a pinhole designed into it - or an inherrent design fault but was surprised I seemed to be the first one to encounter it. I always like to search extensively on here and Google if I dont find an answer because I dont want more and more threads on the same subject but in truth I could find nothing that "fitted" so hope this helps someone later along the line

Cheers Clint and all others - Mrs Wherry will enjoy the extra Wobblygob "saved"

Latest posts

Back