Wilko pressure barrel as pressure fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie23

Reaction score
Hi all

Am keen to give pressure fermenting a go. More as an exercise than anything else.
Has anyone done this? If so, is it worth the hassle?

Cheers

Ron

I was going to give this very same thing a go before my damned barrel got yet another split. I've got a schrader valve on it so I'd have been able to test the pressure to see where it's at when it goes all squeely.

I was going to give this very same thing a go before my damned barrel got yet another split. I've got a schrader valve on it so I'd have been able to test the pressure to see where it's at when it goes all squeely.
Part of the reason I'm reluctant. I've had one sitting around here for years but couldn't be bothered using it due to the hassle and likelihood of failure.
How would you go about hooking up a spunding valve? Is it easier to remove the S30 valve or connect to it?

As an update, I've attached a ball lock post to mine. Have an issue with the tap leaking, the rest seems fine at seven psi or so. Have lubed the tap and it leaks from the barrel of the tap where the two pieces join.

It's an old style Wilko pb. Can anyone recommend a good replacement tap that will handle the pressure?

IMG_20200830_124743.jpg

A picture telling a thousand words and all that... You can see the leak from both the tap part and where the two parts of the body connect

It's only a small leak. That's at 12.5psi and despite the leak, it's holding it quite well.

Still I can't be dealing with that

Hi all

Am keen to give pressure fermenting a go. More as an exercise than anything else.
Has anyone done this? If so, is it worth the hassle?

Cheers

Ron
I’ve got this setup currently. Wilko pressure barrel with S30 pin valve as it comes. I added a pressure gauge and schrader valve also to allow me to add CO2 from bottle and not 8g capsules. It’s at 22*c and the pressure got to 12.5 psi and is sitting at this - venting itself through the s30 relief rubber.

I’ve got this setup currently. Wilko pressure barrel with S30 pin valve as it comes. I added a pressure gauge and schrader valve also to allow me to add CO2 from bottle and not 8g capsules. It’s at 22*c and the pressure got to 12.5 psi and is sitting at this - venting itself through the s30 relief rubber.
Thanks for the reply mate.

I swapped my tap and that sorted it out. I've been a little naughty and am just connecting a spunding valve to the ball lock post. As long as the valve is always on it, it's safe enough.

Have done 3 lagers under pressure - sweet. A proper setup would be better but it serves my purposes for now.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I swapped my tap and that sorted it out. I've been a little naughty and am just connecting a spunding valve to the ball lock post. As long as the valve is always on it, it's safe enough.

Have done 3 lagers under pressure - sweet. A proper setup would be better but it serves my purposes for now.
Nice one. I considered spunding valve but s30 seems to do the job.
Out of interest what pressure have you set it at and which lagers and yeasts have you used ?
Also what were your ferment times and temps. I’m new at this and making it up as I go along. All help appreciated.

Nice one. I considered spunding valve but s30 seems to do the job.
Out of interest what pressure have you set it at and which lagers and yeasts have you used ?
Also what were your ferment times and temps. I’m new at this and making it up as I go along. All help appreciated.
Hi mate,

If you've got it relieving around 12 psi I'd do the same and just keep with that.

I've just been using the cml helles. Fermenting around 19 degrees at 12 - 15psi. I normally leave em a week. Done quicker than that typically though, maybe a few days

They come out pretty crisp

Back