Wilko Toucan Imperial Stout Project.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker Brewery

Reaction score
I have 2 x Wilko stout kits, And I am thinking of making it a Blackcurrant Imperial Stout, I have 1.5kg of Mangrove Jacks Amber malt and kilos of brewing sugar and beer enhancer.
I have Wilko Gervin English Ale yeast which is Muntons GV12(Notts Ale yeast to anyone else). The yeast has be used and brewed a beer which is now harvested., I am guess it is the same yeast in the kits, but will hold them. for other brews.
here is my recipe, please let me know if you see any errors or think i missing something.
P.S. If anyones the wilko stout kit IBUs, that would be great.

2x 1.5kg Wilko Velvet Stout Kits
1x 1.5 Mangrove Jacks Amber Malt
2x 1kg Brewing Sugar
1 x Muntons beer enhancer
5 Kg Blackcurrants add to secondary(Brix reading indicates a 10 pt addition to OG)

my calulations work out as an OG 1.104 , though I might drop the beer enhancer to bring the OG down to 1.090
look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Its going to be very bitter

2 x the Stout IBU
+
1 x the Amber IBU

If that's Ok with you make sure you get new yeast that will work with the very high %ABV .

Aamcle

I went with 1 wilko kit 1 amber malt extract 2 kg of sugar and 1 kg beer enhancer. 4oz black treacle. came in at 1.096 and i ll get 10 pts from the fruit, so should get a 12% imp.stout from this.

Interested as to how the blackcurrant will come through in this...
well the krausen dropped so looking to rack onto the fruit tues/weds next week. I ll defrost the fruit , mash it place it in a straining bag, and add a little spring water to cover and add campfen tablet and pectolase and sit 24 hrs. then rack stout onto it.. i am putting in 3-3.5 kilos of fruit, so that will give me a solid flavour to balance against the roast and liquorice/toffee notes.

Latest posts

Back