Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's all made up.

I used 1KG of Light DME in place of the sugar and Mangrove Jacks M54 Yeast.

It's only been going a few days but seems to be fermenting OK at the moment, I'll leave for a good 7 - 8 days before I dry hop. I was thinking 50g of Saaz, hopefully that won't be overpowering.

Looking forward to trying this one! Then again I've looked forward to trying them all if I'm honest ;)

I dry hopped mine with 50 g of saaz it was really good. I have 50 get left so will be doing this again...soon!

Cheers

Clint

I wish I'd thought of doing that. Mine stuck at 1.020 ended up at 3.5% and just isn't that nice.

It's drinkable but it tastes watery with a lingering bitter aftertaste that just isn't very pleasant.

Probably my own fault for leaving it on a shelf for 2 years before brewing it!! :doh:

Was beginning to get a bit concerned that this has stopped around 1.010 but seems this would be done reading back through the thread.

was dry hopped with 50 gram of saaz so into the lagering phase she will go. 2 degrees for at least 3 weeks should give me a nice crystal clear beer.

Mine went all the way down to 1.006. However, I used 2 packets of the kit yeast, and made it with 1kg Richies brew enhancer + 504g of dextrose. I also added hop flavour early on rather than a dry hop, steeping 25g of Hallertau and 25g of Saaz to make hop tea, then tipping the lot into the FV.

I'm not a huge fan of lager style beers, but at least this one had some flavour. It's still conditioning anyway, so hopefully once the twang conditions out this should be quite tasty. Oh, mine developed a pellicle thanks too a knackered FV (had only used it 3 times...) letting air in, so I racked from under it and left it behind. No pellicle in the bottles at all and doesn't seem to have had any effect on the beer.

Brewed one of these like an ale, higher temperatures than what you'd do for a lager and brewed short by 3l, and in all honesty it's one of the better brews I've done over the last 6 months. Drank fresh after a week in secondary (although I did have problems pressurising due to a dodgy tap) and was still enjoyable. Due to the current warm weather it had actually completed primary in a week, which is pretty much a record for me.

For the price I wasn't at all disappointed if it would have been a two can kit I probably would have been, but for all things considered (cost, time and effort) I wasn't disappointed.

As a starter kit to introduce someone to home brewing it I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Brewed one of these like an ale, higher temperatures than what you'd do for a lager and brewed short by 3l, and in all honesty it's one of the better brews I've done over the last 6 months. Drank fresh after a week in secondary (although I did have problems pressurising due to a dodgy tap) and was still enjoyable. Due to the current warm weather it had actually completed primary in a week, which is pretty much a record for me.

For the price I wasn't at all disappointed if it would have been a two can kit I probably would have been, but for all things considered (cost, time and effort) I wasn't disappointed.

As a starter kit to introduce someone to home brewing it I'd highly recommend it.

I've made this the same way half a dozen times in the last two years and it's never been less than a success. I have trouble getting my fermenting temperature under 22° in this weather, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The first one I made with ordinary sugar and it was fine but lacking something, so I've used spraymalt ever since and brewed short to 21 litres and it suits my tastebuds fine - I like lager and light ales and this is like a cross between the two.

Half muntons light spraymalt (500g bag), half ordinary sugar works for me - I think it would get a bit pricey using the full 1kg of spraymalt. I'm currently halfway through my latest batch of Wilko Cerveza, just enjoying a pint in my back garden
20180722_145441.jpg

I should probably give an update on this.

Turned out mine had gotten infected. Produced a load of gushers eventually. Would explain the pellicle and funky flavour.... lmao Oh, and why it went down to 1.006.....

any ideas for a hop addition for this one I don't have any saaz hops but have cascade 10.1a,hallertau blanc 9.7a, bobek,centinal,northdown, challenger,magnum sorachi ace just gone into primary yesterday was thinking of putting something in at about 6 days in any advise welcome thanks

ended up putting 25g hallertau and 25g cascade in at 6 days used the cafetiere to make a hop tea and got busted by the wife using it we now have coffee with a lovely hop aroma, that will cost me a new one

I've just done this - using molasses as sugar. It's turned out rather cloudy, slow to settle even after a month (no finings used) - does not taste like lager (or bitter) and not that much head - but quite drinkable chilled.

I've just done this - using molasses as sugar. It's turned out rather cloudy, slow to settle even after a month (no finings used) - does not taste like lager (or bitter) and not that much head - but quite drinkable chilled.
I have just bottled my 20 litres just using Wilko Brewing Sugar, mineral water and yeast with some yeast nutrient. Mine came out quite dark but no idea what it will taste like, but like yours if it tastes okay, who cares! Hic.....

I made this following the exact recipe and times.
The starting gravity was a bit low at 1030 but it finished below 1000 in six days then it was kept indoors for two days then out to the conditioniong shed for two weeks.
Now the review.
It was not as light when mixing but went alot lighter whilst fermenting and finished a nice looking pint. It is not as light tasting as the coopers and has a more beery taste but all in all well worth the tenner. The wife really enjoyed this one alot more than the coopers so Il have to give it A (two thumbs up) for the catagory that its in.
I am doing this kit at the minute put some spray malt in with brewing sugar, and will be adding citra hops 3 days before bottling

I am planning on brewing this kit again in the coming days and I want to step it up a little from my last brew. As well as using mineral water (only £1 for 5 litres from Iceland) I want to add some Volvic Lemon and Lime Sugar Free mineral water. My slight concern is that reading the ingredients, it states Volvic mineral water 99.6%, Acid (Citric Acid), Natural Lemon and Lime Flavouring with other natural flavourings. Preservative (Potassium Benzoate), Sweeteners (Acesulfame K, Sucralose).
As these additional additives only equate to 4% of the total, will I be able to just add this to the normal mineral water, or will I have to boil it first to remove these. If its the second option, will I then lose the lemon and lime flavouring? If yes, then of course there is no point.
Has anyone else tried this? Just trying to enhance the flavour of the finished product a little.
Any tips or ideas very welcome..... ;-)

Barley.

Back