Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody got any pics of their brew at early bottling stage.Its my first brew attempt and I'm surprised how dark it looks, almost a treacle colour but the test samples tasted good. Will post a pic once I'm past the newbie status.

Just tried mine. Granted its only been in the barrel 3 days but it tastes rank, no resemblance to any lager I've tried, Mexican or otherwise, just cheap generic homebrew with a heavy twang to it. Maybe it will get better as it conditions, but I'm not holding out much hope. Wished I'd never bought it, I had misgivings when I did, should have listened to myself....

itbrvilla said:
Planning to do one of the Wilko lager kits but am unsure which one to go for. Does anyone e have experience with all 3 and ncould recommend any over the others?

Hi, I'm new here but yes, I have done all three, the pils once, the other two twice.

The first lager I did with sugar. Perfectly drinkable but wouldn't win any awards. The second with brewing sugar was pretty much the same. I only brewed it so my wife could experiment with using various syrups from garden fruit for priming. She loved it with dark cherry.

I was underwhelmed by the pils (made with brewing sugar). Could be just my taste but odd as I usually prefer pils to lager.

The cerveza was excellent for the price. Ideal as a thirst quencher after a long day's work in the summer. I just made the second batch just with sugar this time. Less than a week in the bottle but nearly clear. Tried one and it is much the same as the first batch. Will most likely improve over the next couple of weeks. It's not really a lager and I couldn't really compare it with anything I've had before. It is somewhere between a lager and a light ale but different. I have two more kits in the cupboard so I guess that is a thumbs up.

At the same time as the first batch of cerveza, I had the WIlko's Golden Ale so easy to compare. Significantly better as you might expect from a two can kit but definitely a beer rather than a beer-ish-lager-ish.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Yes, that's the one. Light Golden Lager.

I just re-read my last sentence and it looks a bit clumsy. All I was trying to say was the cerveza is not a beer or should I say ale? But then nor is it exactly a lager imho.

Brewbob. Just saw your post and it did improve over a few weeks. It is a cheap one can kit, not like any lager I have ever had, and yes a bit of a twang. I like it though. All my beers go into bottles, I don't know if that would make a difference.

Brewbob, I think someone said a few pages back that when they bottled it it tasted of 'sweaty ball sack', but after a month or so it tasted pretty good.

itbrvilla said:
Brewbob, I think someone said a few pages back that when they bottled it it tasted of 'sweaty ball sack', but after a month or so it tasted pretty good.

Lmao I wonder how they know the taste of "sweaty ball sack" :D

:lol: :lol: Having no previous knowledge of how sweaty ball sacks taste I'll just have to imagine (not)! Luckily though I have enough stock to be able to keep it for a good few weeks before I need to crack into it. Reckon it'll make a Xmas party brew :party:

Put this on last night with 500g light spray malt and 1kg of brewing sugar SG was 1.042 which I thought seemed low?

I can't believe how dark it it compared to the Woodford's Sundew I put on a month or so ago.

I brewed this about a month n a half ago. It's starting to taste really good. I've only about ten bottles left. If I want so greedy then id get to enjoy it better. I really struggle to agree my brews as I'm so eager to see how its going, I'm always cracking open a bottle to try. I'd defo do it again. I used 500g DME and 1k sugar

itbrvilla said:
Put this on last night with 500g light spray malt and 1kg of brewing sugar SG was 1.042 which I thought seemed low?

I can't believe how dark it it compared to the Woodford's Sundew I put on a month or so ago.
Been on 3 days already and the colour has changed massively!!! I haven't looked inside but its gone feom being as dark as my Youngs Harvest Biter to as light as my Sundew!!!

Made this as per the instructions on the kit but left in the FV for two weeks.

I bottled about 1/3 and barrelled the rest

It's been one week and I've had a little taste today. The barrel version taste rank, is cloudy and flat. The bottled version is clearer, golden but still tastes rank and flat?? Fingers crossed it improves!

Kkay said:

It's been one week and I've had a little taste today. The barrel version taste rank, is cloudy and flat. The bottled version is clearer, golden but still tastes rank and flat?? Fingers crossed it improves!
How much did you prime with?

I'm thinking of leaving this 3 weeks in FV. Is that a good idea?

Kkay said:

I have had the same experience with the lack of carbonation after a week bottled. Not opened a bottle yet but I'm hoping its improved after nearly two weeks. I primed with two measured teaspoons

Well I'm completely new to this so may have messed it up. After two weeks in the FV i put it all into the barrel added 85g of dissolved sugar, gave it a good stir then tapped it into santised bottles I had collected. Not sure this was the right thing to do with air potentially getting through the barrel mixture??

Will update if anything shows signs of carbonation. Apparently this kit has had mixed result... :?

Well its neen conditioning from a few weeks to a month (I didnt write down my dates :doh:)

And its absolutely disgusting lol it has a slightly tangy taste to it, I can honestly say its the worst beer I've ever tasted!

Looks like this will ne getti g passed around Christmas partied whilst I sip on my wilkos stout! :D

Hey, Grotzilla, how tastes differ.

I've done 4 batches of Wilko's stout (picked them up for a fiver earlier in the year so not complaining) and made a note to try to find a decent stout for future :)

But just a heads up for any who like the stout or others who like the cerveza, Wilko's have put them back up to £10. All the other one can kits have gone up to £12 so they may follow too. At that price I probably wouldn't be bothering with any of the one can kits.

pauljohnmorris said:
Kkay said:

I have had the same experience with the lack of carbonation after a week bottled. Not opened a bottle yet but I'm hoping its improved after nearly two weeks. I primed with two measured teaspoons

I have left this now for two weeks and had one last night. Carbed up nice, but tasted very young I recon it will need a month more before its any good.

chris-s said:
Hey, Grotzilla, how tastes differ.

I've done 4 batches of Wilko's stout (picked them up for a fiver earlier in the year so not complaining) and made a note to try to find a decent stout for future :) .

St Peters Cream Stout is delicious. I'm having trouble saving mine for Xmas.

Having said that it would be easier if this beer didn't taste like sweaty ball sacks (allegedly).

Although... I did have a couple the other night and thought it was coming together. So I'll probably drink it, but won't ever make another

Latest posts

Back