Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plan with the hop thing sounds good to me.

As a suggestion, most brewers would use more aroma hops (like Aramis)and boil for more like 5 mins. If you reduce them down to near powder in a food processor, you can just chuck the whole lot in the fermenter. Used this approach a few times myself and it works well.

Since 1/4 plus 1/2 gives you 3/4, you could line the bottles up and fill systematically with 1/2, then repeat with 1/4. I would be tempted to just guess 3/4 off a full spoon myself
Hi Slid, i have a coopers one on the go and im struck by the whole hops additions but can make out if there is a right and wrong way/time to do it, mines been in the Fv now for 5 days,i have some amarillo hops left from the 'simple ag thread' ..can you advise me,is it worth adding some at some point?if so how ,dry/boiled? and when i could add them without folwing the whole brew.
ive read quite a few threads on hops additions but they all differ so much,its a little confusing if im honest,either that or doesnt matter when of how you add them?
Thanks Andy

Hi Slid, i have a coopers one on the go and im struck by the whole hops additions but can make out if there is a right and wrong way/time to do it, mines been in the Fv now for 5 days,i have some amarillo hops left from the 'simple ag thread' ..can you advise me,is it worth adding some at some point?if so how ,dry/boiled? and when i could add them without folwing the whole brew.
ive read quite a few threads on hops additions but they all differ so much,its a little confusing if im honest,either that or doesnt matter when of how you add them?
Thanks Andy

I would just go with the one that looks easist.

If you have a hop bag (large bag with mesh that will allow the beer to circulate a bit), then dry hopping is a good idea. Add something to make the bag sink - glass marbles or something.

If you have a Cafetiere that SWMBO does not use for coffee, then a hop tea is an easy and hassle free starter method.

I would bottle at 1006 deffo, I allways leave my brews in the fv for 10-14 days and would bottle at 1006 if it gets down to that.

Got my second brew in the FV - was planning to bottle tomorrow, but some of the recentposts have me wondering.... what's the gain in leaving it longer in the FV?
The last cerveza was only in 7 days and was absolutely spot on.

Got my second brew in the FV - was planning to bottle tomorrow, but some of the recentposts have me wondering.... what's the gain in leaving it longer in the FV?
The last cerveza was only in 7 days and was absolutely spot on.

I leave mine for two weeks just to make sure its finished fermenting and more of the yeast settles meaning a clearer brew to bottle.

Thanks Frog.

Bottled yesterday as I won't have time next weekend - people coming to stay.

It tasted pretty good when siphoning, and had some strength to it. Good colour - light golden and smells good too.

I don't remember my last brew being this cloudy although it seems to be clearing ok after 24hours. Overall it seems just as good as the first brew, which was just as drinkable as commercial lagers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brewing: Wilkes cerveza
damson port

Drinking: all of the above, earlier batches

So I bottled mine last Friday and couldn't resist to try first bottle yesterday as the beer cleared nicely. I must say it was already very good :). I was expecting that home made beer will still have some odd taste but this is as good as from shop :).

Hi Slawek. Just finished drinking my first batch - it just got better and better! I think it managed to last for a month or so.

Second batch has ben bottled a week now - cleared nicely but I couldn't leave it alone either. Its good - no tang at all, but in comparison to the others which had time to lager, I can see it does need to wait a bit.

You're right though - every bit as good as a pro lager.
Waiting for Wilkos hombres sale now so I can stock up!
post if you spot the sale!!

Hi Slawek. Just finished drinking my first batch - it just got better and better! I think it managed to last for a month or so.

Second batch has ben bottled a week now - cleared nicely but I couldn't leave it alone either. Its good - no tang at all, but in comparison to the others which had time to lager, I can see it does need to wait a bit.

You're right though - every bit as good as a pro lager.
Waiting for Wilkos hombres sale now so I can stock up!
post if you spot the sale!!
Had some friends over the weekend and only 12 bottles left now :( I wish it could last a few more weeks :pray:.

I have second batch already in the bucket and should be bottling this weekend, this time Wilko Golden Lager 20 litres with 500g LDME and 700 of Dextrose.

Brewed yesterday, brewed short at 20ltrs using light spray malt & topped up with brewing sugar to give it a little more strength...

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I just started my first homebrew experience with Wilko Cerveza kit. I've done everything as per instructions and I added 1kg of beer enhancer. It started to bubble within about 5-6 hours and then slowed down after 2 days in temperature around 20-21C. This is now nearly 12 days in FV and still bubbling and I am hoping it will be ready for the weekend. I took the reading 4 days ago and it was 1010 ( initial 1034) so I think it still should go down. The bubbles comes very slowly, I would say every 10 minutes, do I need to wait until it stops completely or can I bottle it when the reading reaches 1006 ?

Hiya mate,

Sorry for the lateness of this reply but you should always wait until fermentation has stopped. This one does go down quite low but while it's bubbling, LEAVE IT. When the hydrometer reding is the same for 2 to 3 days you are ready for bottling/kegging. Even then you have at LEAST 3 weeks maturation time while it clears. I empathise with your eagerness but leaving any beer after bottling/kegging for at least 3 months should give you a great beer. Except mild whish is meant be be drunk young. It's your first brew so have some but don't bash it. The ide is to build up a mature stock. Where do you live Bro?

I have to say that my Wilko Cerveza has come out spot on. Not normally a Lager drinker but thought I'd get a BBQ summer sharing brew on. Brewed it short to 20L with 500g of light spray malt and 1kg of sugar. Forced carb in a corny and 2 weeks conditioning, it's come out crystal clear and not tasting unlike Corona or San Miguel and at about 5%.
I think it'll be gone next time we've got people round!

I have to say that my Wilko Cerveza has come out spot on. Not normally a Lager drinker but thought I'd get a BBQ summer sharing brew on. Brewed it short to 20L with 500g of light spray malt and 1kg of sugar. Forced carb in a corny and 2 weeks conditioning, it's come out crystal clear and not tasting unlike Corona or San Miguel and at about 5%.
I think it'll be gone next time we've got people round!

I find it funny just how many people volunteer to do me the massive favour of trying my beers, wines and ciders for me. With some even going the extra mile and taking a bottle home with them, their sacrifice fair brings a tear to my eye (literally).
I've done this Wilko Cerveza, I added 10g of Aramis hops and it was gorgeous, all I have left are the four bottles I stash to try at the four month mark, I get to try them on 10th July, can't wait.

Got mine on today. £8 for the kit. 500g med spray malt (no light available) and 1kg brewing sugar. Brewed to 18L at 1050. Aiming to have it ready for a BBQ in a month's time where the drinkers will all be Coppers; a discerning audience if ever there was one!

Had one in the FV for 2 days now, I don't normally do this kind of beer but with a barbeque on the horizon late next month and at £8 a throw I thought why not,but I have fiddled with it rather

I have brewed this kit five times so far and have been impressed how it came out. Please note that I only brew this in the colder months, so not sure if this is any help at this time of year.

I used:
kit can but substituted kit yeast for S-23 yeast.
1kg Beer Enhancer.
500g Light Spray Malt.
Brewed short to 20L.
Pitched yeast at 21c
Fermented at 16c using an aquarium heater (was in October)
Start OG 1.050
Finish SG 1.005 about 5.9%
18 days to ferment out and four days on the garage floor. Batch primed 160g Tescos Golden Sugar. 37 bottles 500ml and one 275ml.
Just started on this one and although not a big lager drinker, its tastes bleeding lovely. A lot of flavour but as I rarely drink lager I can't really compare it with any commercial lagers.

Fermenting:
Geordie Bitter, fiddled about with it. 1kg Medium Spray Malt, 200g Crystal Malt,100g Wheat Malt, 100g Chocolate Malt, 100g Flaked Barley, 30g Brewing Sugar, Kit yeast + US-05.

Wilko Velvet Stout, Two tins + yeast and the same ingredients as above. The mess this made on the floor, blimey must have lost at least a pint. Lovely smell in the garage though.

Conditioning:
Brewferm x 5
Coopers Wheat
Coopers Stout x 3
Coopers Irish Stout
Geordie Bitter x 3
Donner & Blitzed
Yorkshire Bitter x 2
Milestone Shine On
Wilkos Cervesa x 3
Loads of different Saisons

Next up:
Coopers lager pimped up with Extra Light Spray Malt and Belle Saison yeast.

:thumb:

Last edited:
I've been brewing this kit since the beginning ( last May) and I really like it. I add 500g of light spray malt and 700g of brewing sugar. I also dry hop after a week with 20g of Cascade + 20g of Amarillo and it is really nice.

I've just bashed another of these through to hand out at BBQ's. Came out a bit strong this time though I think.. 1kg sugar and 500g DME. I should have eased back on the sugar as I think it'll be over 6%!

I've just bashed another of these through to hand out at BBQ's. Came out a bit strong this time though I think.. 1kg sugar and 500g DME. I should have eased back on the sugar as I think it'll be over 6%!

how is mine going to come out with 2kg of sugar in mine then :whistle:

Latest posts

Back