Wilkos Stout Stuck at 1.018

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening Chaps,

Right, I put on a Wilkos Velvet Stout on 10/10/14 using:

500g Medium Spray Malt
400g Crushed Chocolate Malt
100g Crushed Wheat Malt , all simmered in a muslin bag for 30mins.

1 Tin of Stout
450g Black Treacle
300g Lactose Powder, mixed with warm water and added to the FV with everything else. Im trying to do a Milk Stout for the other half.
Kit Yeast
Brewed short to 20L
OG 1.051
Pitched yeast at 24c
Set the STC to 20c

Checked the SG on 18th and was 1.022
" 24th " 1.020
" 28th " 1.019

Now I have brewed 26 brews since January and all of them have been taking between 8 days (the shortest) and 17 days (A Wherry, the longest) The temperature has been constant in my Brew Box and after a vigorous start, it seems to have fallen asleep. Smells OK, tastes OK flat but lovely, not sweet at all, no bubbles in the hydrometer, flat as a pancake on the surface in the FV. All the crud has dropped to the bottom. Tried giving it a good but gentle stir on the 23rd.

Any ideas how to get it to get its finger out and finish? Anyone tried to bottle at this SG? and if so, did you have to re-decorate your kitchen ceiling afterwards!

Cheers all :wha:

Last edited:
Evening Chaps,

Right, I put on a Wilkos Velvet Stout on 10/10/14 using:

500g Medium Spray Malt
400g Crushed Chocolate Malt
100g Crushed Wheat Malt , all simmered in a muslin bag for 30mins.

1 Tin of Stout
450g Black Treacle
300g Lactose Powder, mixed with warm water and added to the FV with everything else. Im trying to do a Milk Stout for the other half.
Kit Yeast
Brewed short to 20L
OG 1.051
Pitched yeast at 24c
Set the STC to 20c

Checked the SG on 18th and was 1.022
" 24th " 1.020
" 28th " 1.019

Now I have brewed 26 brews since January and all of them have been taking between 8 days (the shortest) and 17 days (A Wherry, the longest) The temperature has been constant in my Brew Box and after a vigorous start, it seems to have fallen asleep. Smells OK, tastes OK flat but lovely, not sweet at all, no bubbles in the hydrometer, flat as a pancake on the surface in the FV. All the crud has dropped to the bottom. Tried giving it a good but gentle stir on the 23rd.

Any ideas how to get it to get its finger out and finish? Anyone tried to bottle at this SG? and if so, did you have to re-decorate your kitchen ceiling afterwards!

Cheers all :wha:

Could be all you get down to on this one, mate. Lactose is not fermentable and neither are the sugars from the Chocolate grains. So in fermentables, you have no more than a kit plus a 1kg brew enhancer.

If it is not obviously sweet tasting I don't see what you are gaining messing with it.

I might have tried a high attenuation yeast, like Safale US - 05, to ferment everything there is to ferment with that recipe. What was the kit yeast - Gervin ale yeast?

If it don't taste sweet, that might be it! If you've tried stirring the yeast into suspension again, thenI agree with Slid, get it bottled if the reading have been the same three days running.

Could be all you get down to on this one, mate. Lactose is not fermentable and neither are the sugars from the Chocolate grains. So in fermentables, you have no more than a kit plus a 1kg brew enhancer.

If it is not obviously sweet tasting I don't see what you are gaining messing with it.

The reason for adding the lactose was to try and make a milk stout for the missus. Checked the SG just now and its showing 1.017 should give me about 4.4%. I think I will add the rest of the lactose to try and make it sweeter (200g, all that was left in the bag) and take a chance and bottle it. I may leave the bottles in my brew box to for the secondary ferment and hope they don't go pop.

Last edited:
I might have tried a high attenuation yeast, like Safale US - 05, to ferment everything there is to ferment with that recipe. What was the kit yeast - Gervin ale yeast?

If it don't taste sweet, that might be it! If you've tried stirring the yeast into suspension again, thenI agree with Slid, get it bottled if the reading have been the same three days running.

Yeah, it was Gervin yeast. See details above. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back