Wilkos to close 15 stores. :/

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripps

Reaction score
The one here is spared, but it's a big shop, and does a good trade I think.

Ours is quite big too but has suffered from lack of stock in recent months, some shelves have been empty

I've got a feeling it's a slippery slope. More will follow :/

Went in our local one a bit before Christmas, there really wasn't much in there worth buying. I think they are fighting a losing battle to B&M / HomeBargains and the way I see it probably consider themselves in a tier above these shops but they really aren't.

The one in Worcester has only been open a few years so I guess they'd be loathed to close it.

I went in the one at Middlebrooke just before christmas, i can see why they are closing if they have staff who can't be arsed staff like this one, but they will all moan if and when it gets the chop

From some bit of their homebrewing range, these closures should be seen as a godsend. Some of their HB is god damned awful :C

From some bit of their homebrewing range, these closures should be seen as a godsend. Some of their HB is god damned awful :C
I beg to differ Arcs, i have done loads of wilko kits all tweaked with dme and notty yeast never had a bad one, i am right now drinking thirsty red devil which is very nice also have a keg of wheat beer carbing up never tried this so we will see

Went in our local one a bit before Christmas, there really wasn't much in there worth buying. I think they are fighting a losing battle to B&M / HomeBargains and the way I see it probably consider themselves in a tier above these shops but they really aren't.

The one in Worcester has only been open a few years so I guess they'd be loathed to close it.
To be honest I was surprised ours wasn't on the list. B&M and Home Bargains have opened in town recently and the store is poorly sited - no free parking nearby. I doubt ours will let much longer.

I often use the Redditch branch, and it is usually busy. Surprised to see that on the list.

Mine in Liverpool isn't shutting. As far as I can see it's junk store selling junk for people that need or want junk. As for high street homebrew kits or equipment. Their brews are **** as is the equipment. I have to travel 55 mins from where I live to see a decent homebrew store on a high street. It's worth my while going there as I almost always get what I want.

I have to travel 55 mins from where I live to see a decent homebrew store on a high street. It's worth my while going there as I almost always get what I want.

Its a shame they are closing as fast as pubs giving us little choice than to buy online or from places like Wilko.

I’ll try reviving this thread before starting a new one. My 2 nearest Wilko branches are absolutely useless for home brew stuff. The home brew shelves are literally empty and the staff seemed to have no idea why, or if/when things would improve. So my question is whether there’s anywhere else on the high street or in retail park-type shops that sells home brew equipment and ingredients? I’ve recently started home brewing and had to buy all my stuff online. I don’t mind paying £5 postage on a load of bulky or heavy equipment but it’s annoying being asked to pay several pounds postage on a £2 sachet of yeast. Thanks for any pointers.

Latest posts

Back