Will an aquarium heater be ok to heat my FV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeHer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Will this be ok to submerge into my 25l fermenting vessel?
Currently I don't heat, I ferment in the spare room but it can get quite cold in there overnight (15 degrees or so) which is a little too cold.

Thanks
Rod

Personally I think 15 degrees overnight is great. My house is about the same and its not a problem. My brewbelt has been retired for ages now and I actually think it gave a couple of brews a dodgy taste. I really wouldnt be bothered at that temp. :idea:

Thanks guys, some much better value for money ones posted there, will try one of those.
Is the submersion in water completely necessary? I will have to source a bucket or container for that if so, np of course.

Thanks

PokeHer said:
Thanks guys, some much better value for money ones posted there, will try one of those.
Is the submersion in water completely necessary? I will have to source a bucket or container for that if so, np of course.

Thanks

You can use it in your FV as well ... just make sure it's sanitised and find some way of getting the power lead out through the lid...

:cheers:

Heating the surrounding water to 20 degrees will probably mean the brew gets hotter than 20 degrees when it is fermenting.

I don't know how much hotter, but it will be a few degrees.

shearclass said:
Heating the surrounding water to 20 degrees will probably mean the brew gets hotter than 20 degrees when it is fermenting...
Assuming the room is cooler than the desired temperature the heater's thermostat will keep the brew at said temperature regardless of the heat generated by fermentation.

StrangeBrew said:
You can use it in your FV as well ... just make sure it's sanitised and find some way of getting the power lead out through the lid...

:cheers:

I can just drill a hole through the lid, I don't think its needs to be airtight (and I read somewhere that it shouldn't be airtight?) right?

PokeHer said:
I can just drill a hole through the lid, I don't think its needs to be airtight (and I read somewhere that it shouldn't be airtight?) right?

No it doesn't have to be air tight ... although bear in mind if you have an airlock it wont bubble so you could just use the airlock hole if your lid has one... I'd perhaps just put something over any hole so stuff cant fall in ... or if you retain the airlock put the cable through some kind of grommet / split bung etc...

A quick update, at the weekend I found a 60ltr FV that I plan to transfer my beer to after the SG is stable (following the advice in this post). I bought a 60ltr as it can double as my heating bin! I can put my 25ltr FV inside the 60ltr, add water to the 60ltr and heat the water (as suggested by 31bb3 above). Obviously during the 2nd phase, the fermentation has already completed so the now beer doesn't need to be heated.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Back