Will it be ok to reduce number of bottles I make?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking for some help and advice regards a Red Wine Buddy kit I have lying in a cupboard. Instead of throwing out I think I should at least give it a go.
I have made Wine Buddy kits twice before and each time i have drank a few bottles and thrown the rest away.
Problem I had with first one I brewed as it said and had a very watery wine to me vinegary in taste. Dont get me wrong I know I am not going to get a delux vintage wine here but I would be expecting something a bit more palatable than this.
The second one i made i added litres of supermarket grape juice in a bid to thicken it up a bit and give more body...but I got an overly thick-ish unpleasant mouthfeel that I again ended up pouring away.
This time I was thinking about reducing the amount of water making maybe 20 or 25 bottles instead of 30 would this help? and if I do reduce bottles to 20/25 how much sugar should I use also?
also someone told me to leave out some of the packet stuff (i cent remember which) you add to the wine.
Be very grateful for any advice comments tyvm.

Last edited:
Reducing the amount of water you use should increase the body of the wine. The instructions say to add 4kg of sugar to the (approx) 2kg of concentrate (likely to be approx two thirds sugar by weight), to produce 30 bottles of 11% wine. You could add all 4kg of sugar to make a 25 bottles of 13% A.B.V., or 3.1kg for 11% and similarly for 20 bottles, 2.9 & 2.2kg. As Chippy says go for it.

I would go for a decrease in volume too as adding red grape juice does not work as it is not suitable for embodiment of red wine and makes more of a red/rose type I believe this is because just generic red grapes are used and not wine making grapes in the juice we get in the Uk

So adding 4kg sugar and reducing to 25 bottles will give me ...25 bottles at 13% yes?
would the difference be noticeable and much better? Or would u recommend I go for the 20 bottles...If I do reduce to 20 can i ask the amount of sugar as I wasn't in the post if you meant adding 2.9 kg?
I would be very happy if i could get a half decent result as I was very close to throwing it in the bin.
One last thing...when it comes to the degassing stage...how long would u 1. stir with a spoon?paddle approx or 2. if using a drill with a home made attachemnt how long approx would u do this for? ty all

Re:> The Baron

I think? Youngs wine kit booster juice is the proper grapes.

But I agree the best bet is to make up the kit slightly "short"

at last I am about to get round to doing this lol...
just triple checking again to make sure I do not under any circumstances make sweet wine yuk!!!!!
So .....My 30 bottle Wine Buddy kit I reduce to 25 bottles.... yes?
I then add 4kg sugar which will give me 25 bottles at approx 13%.... yes?
And I use a degassing wand of sorts on the end of my power drill and run forward for 5 to 10 secs then repeat and do reverse for 5 to 10 secs yes?
and approx doing 1 min of this will be enough to degass all my 25 bottles of wine in the FV.... yes?
just seen a video where a guy claims it takes some time to do this and he was also using power drill with wand on the end says at least 15/30 in FV and up to 1 hour in a stirring by hand.
look forward to replies ty

Last edited:
You might be ok but I find the amount of glycerine in the winebuddy red flavour packs sickening even made up to 30 bottles. So maybe add a bit at a time and test it as you're going.

You could add LESS sugar to guarantee a dry wine.
3Kg would be dry.
( My top tip.!!)

Also as Drunkula says glycerine in fact has a really sweet,cloying taste.
It cuts the rough edges off a new wine. Making kit wines taste smoother sooner after being made
You could add less or none at all.

Vinegar taste/smell is a sign of infection.Its harmless to you but your trying to make wine.
Give EVERYTHING a good wash. Whith anti-bacterial washing up liquid in hot water.
After a good wash then rinse with something like dilute milton (used for sanitising babys bottles)or similar sanitiser.
Included in the "everything" are worktops,any kitchen utensils you use,and your hands.

You can buy proper cleaner/sanitisers such as VWP but I am assuming you dont have this.
Milton and similar sanitisers for babys can be bought at any chemist or supermarkets.

Finally keep in touch. Winemaking is easy once you get the basics,
Good luck.!!!

Last edited:
Also dont get stressed about degassing. It just helps the wine to clear more quickly than otherwise thats all.
It will clear all by itself if given time.

It is worth remembering
A lot of the "steps" in kit winemaking are just there so the consumer can enjoy the results as soon as possible after purchase.
Its a human nature kind of thing.

I just shake the demijohn and let the gas out a few times to de gas it before I chuck some finings in. Sometimes I shake the bottles before I cork them as well (with my thumb on the end of course lol).

Latest posts

Back