Will this be everything (apart from bottles and consumables) I need to brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice kit...but if you're just starting I'd go a bit more basic and nail the fundamentals first...just incase you don't really like brewing then you won't waste your money.

I've enjoyed extract kits for beer making, and really enjoyed juice kits for wine. I don't mind the work involved.

I'm currently doing my first all grain kit, a Brooklyn Brewshop Afternoon Wheat - it's not yet in for fermenting.

We're running 2 cornys + a commercial keg in our home made kegerator.

Is there a mid point where we'd get decent value without having to use this awful stove top we have?

Cheers

Ah I see...fill ya boots!

I'm by no means anything but plucky amateur, just wondering if this is the next step up from this rubbish hob and pilling everything out of standard kitchen equipment.

I do three vessel off my hob...the large burner just about copes. If my cooker wasn't up to it a system like that would be on my shopping list.

I'm by no means anything but plucky amateur, just wondering if this is the next step up from this rubbish hob and pilling everything out of standard kitchen equipment.
If you think small batch on the hob is rubbish, you're missing the point. Are you looking for a system, a black box, where you shove everything in and beer comes out, as if by magic? That's not what we're about. Good luck.

If you think small batch on the hob is rubbish, you're missing the point. Are you looking for a system, a black box, where you shove everything in and beer comes out, as if by magic? That's not what we're about. Good luck.
No, I'm not looking for that. We have an old electric hob with terrible thermostat control. The kitchen is also pretty hot all the time, so having equipment I can use in the garage, and avoid the stove top due to the issue mentioned would be beneficial for me.

I look forward to spending time understanding, brewing and experimenting, however with the limitations of the stove top, I don't think this is the best way for me to do this.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding I caused, I'm not sure your snarky response is the best way to welcome a new member.

Many of us use a water boiler (30 litre or 40 litre) and use that to mash grain and boil up the wort. You can see mine on the first page of my brewday posts. I replaced the tap with something more suitable and that was a bit fiddly but has been fine ever since and I’ve used it every weekend for a couple of years. You’ll see I use a grain basket but you can use a mash bag just as easily.

Many of us use a water boiler (30 litre or 40 litre) and use that to mash grain and boil up the wort. You can see mine on the first page of my brewday posts. I replaced the tap with something more suitable and that was a bit fiddly but has been fine ever since and I’ve used it every weekend for a couple of years. You’ll see I use a grain basket but you can use a mash bag just as easily.

I agree with Mr Hazelwood. I’ve built my little brewery and loved the DIY along the way. When I first started I used a mango chutney barrel and a couple of Tesco kettle elements to make beer! Two vessel all grain with some DIY can be really cheap and rewarding. If the hobby is likely to be a long lasting thing then definitely look at the options available, but think about the longevity of the system that you buy- ie how easy is it to change an element ect if something goes bang...

No, I'm not looking for that. We have an old electric hob with terrible thermostat control. The kitchen is also pretty hot all the time, so having equipment I can use in the garage, and avoid the stove top due to the issue mentioned would be beneficial for me.

Have you thought of an induction hob? Usable in the garage, and portable so convenient for the kitchen, if necessary.

Re snarky comment: the reaction might be easier to understand if understood that the atmosphere looked a bit like "stove top bad, shiny machine good".
Welcome, and I hope you find what you're looking for! acheers.

I look forward to spending time understanding, brewing and experimenting, however with the limitations of the stove top, I don't think this is the best way for me to do this.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding I caused, I'm not sure your snarky response is the best way to welcome a new member.
There are lots of ways to produce good beer. I started my all grain journey with a 15 litre stock pot and a mashing bag on the stove, before I swapped to an all in one system, a Grainfather in my case, I now work as a professional brewer for a craft brewery (using a 3 vessel system).

Some members on this forum are rather protective of their own systems, but don't be detered, find a system that works for you, in terms of price, complexity, diy capabilities etc. and MAKE GOOD BEER.

There are many members on here who use the Brewzilla type system and are happy with it, I'm still slightly jealous, as I still haven't got around to getting corrny kegs for my home brewing.

Fair comment. I've got a very run of the mill gas hob and it works just fine with 12 litre batches. It'd probably handle a bit more, but the kitchen sink wouldn't take a bigger pot. That's where all the brewing research and experimentation is done. For bigger batches the "industrial" (well, 30 to 50 litres) kit outside is called into play. The big stuff can seem like a job of work, which it is. The hob stuff is always fun.
I'd suggest you keep your hands as close to the process as you can, to really understand and have control over what you're doing. As I said earlier, good luck.

Fair comment. I've got a very run of the mill gas hob and it works just fine with 12 litre batches. It'd probably handle a bit more, but the kitchen sink wouldn't take a bigger pot. That's where all the brewing research and experimentation is done. For bigger batches the "industrial" (well, 30 to 50 litres) kit outside is called into play. The big stuff can seem like a job of work, which it is. The hob stuff is always fun.
I'd suggest you keep your hands as close to the process as you can, to really understand and have control over what you're doing. As I said earlier, good luck.

I envy you and your gas top. Being able to switch off and on the heat is something I don't have.

I want to be hands on as much as possible, I didn't make that clear earlier, and I'm sorry for that.

Essentially, I've access to a few bob, and I want to enjoy brewing. I might do it for a year or so, maybe longer. There's a couple of clones that I wont drink but miss really good beers

Last edited:
It's nice kit...but if you're just starting I'd go a bit more basic and nail the fundamentals first...just incase you don't really like brewing then you won't waste your money.

This reply, plus that from others had me thinking this week. We decided to get the Brewzilla from BKT. It'd have been a harder decision if Angel had them at the same time, but we've bought from BKT previously.

We decided just to get the zilla + whirlpool arm, and not bother with the fermenter or party tap kit, as it just seemed like we were going in way too deep.

Cheers everyone for the advice, and looking forward to brewing a little more often :)

Back