Will you drink in Wetherspoons when pubs re-open?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My mates and I have already decided we wonā€™t. It used to be one of the few places I could get beer I liked but the rest of Broughty Ferry has caught up a bit. The 2 Belhaven pubs have been stocking West Breweryā€™s lager instead of Tennents which has improved my enjoyment of ā€œstandardā€ pubs significantly (although one of those 2 pubs also has a decent selection of real ales).

Last edited:
I like their beer and prices but hate the owner so I will boycott them. šŸ˜¢
Yeah I usually try to avoid it. I really don't like the owner. It's good that they save old buildings rather than flatten them, but that's the only plus point (apart from price of the beers). I'd prefer to pay a bit more and support a local business, personally. Plus they could probably do with my cash more than a behemoth like WS.

Wouldn't call it a boycott but just prefer to drink/eat elsewhere.

Can't disagree with what has been said and one thing I would add is the amount of time you have to wait to be served. I would rather pay a few pence more for a beer so they could staff the bar properly.

Can't disagree with what has been said and one thing I would add is the amount of time you have to wait to be served. I would rather pay a few pence more for a beer so they could staff the bar properly.
Thatā€™s why you should always order on your phone using the app. Nearly always quicker than standing at the bar.

Thatā€™s why you should always order on your phone using the app. Nearly always quicker than standing at the bar.
Problem is that they donā€™t have all the beer on the app,or didnā€™t the last time I was in one. So you could order a pint of John Smiths no problem but a pint of one of the various guest ales which I would say was one of their only selling points.

In addition I have never found Weatherspoon's to be particularly pleasant places to drink, always being closer to a budget chain restaurant than a pub, the atmosphere always seeming to be slightly depressing.

If I ever get the chance to visit my native land again without being thrown into quarantine, prison, deportation centre or forcibly made to admire the golden rivet aboard the good ship WIndrush, I certainly will not ever again visit a Wetherspoon's establishment except to relieve my bladder in the entrance on my way home from a proper pub.

Last edited:
Food and good selection of beers at sensible prices. They have found a formula that works, when many other pubs / chains are failing in their droves.

They may not be my favourite of watering holes, but they definitely have their uses. So yes I will drink in them again, I wouldn't cut off my nose for the sake of 6th form common room politics.

Food and good selection of beers at sensible prices. They have found a formula that works, when many other pubs / chains are failing in their droves.

The first and second half of this sentence are related.

I already avoided Wetherspoons unless Iā€™m in a big group and thereā€™s a consensus to go there. Not because of the politics of Tim Martin but because of the toxic impact of them selling beer at a price that independent breweries and pubs canā€™t sustainably cope with.

They may not be my favourite of watering holes, but they definitely have their uses. So yes I will drink in them again, I wouldn't cut off my nose for the sake of 6th form common room politics.
6th form politics get real this guy laid off his staff and told them to get a job at Tescoā€™s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back