Will you drink in Wetherspoons when pubs re-open?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its time to move on lets not play who gets the final word!

BTW that is usually me ;)

And as i have just posted by me also. (see quote below)

If you don't like the debate i suggest YOU leave it is not your job to tell others to stop posting just because you don't agree with what they are saying.
Didn't tell anyone to stop posting, just that the debate with me is over. Really wish people would actually make it to the end of a post. the "or I will bit"
Goldfish!

It's an internet forum. It's the opinions of people who don't *actually* know but have been told or have read stuff by people or organisations that have agendas. Honestly, if it's not your thing scroll on by.

Didn't tell anyone to stop posting, just that the debate with me is over. Really wish people would actually make it to the end of a post. the "or I will bit"
Goldfish!

So the message below doesn't say YOU shut up or I will!

Give it up. Either go and sup your beer at another table, or I will.

Hence my reply - If you don't like the debate i suggest YOU leave it is not your job to tell others to stop posting just because you don't agree with what they are saying.

Here's the place to ask this question.... I heard Weatherspoon sell beer close to its use by date anyone know if its true or just a mate being wrong again
This was a rumor circulating a few years back that I believe was denied however a pint of abbot in my local GK pub is always better than one any wetherspoons.

This was a rumor circulating a few years back that I believe was denied however a pint of abbot in my local GK pub is always better than one any wetherspoons.
I asked the very same question when I worked there (spoons, not GK) years ago. If that was the reason it was so cheap. Was told it wasnt true and cheapness was purely down to buying power. Undaunted in my quest for the truth i checked the sell by dates. All good, at least on prepackaged drinks. That was a good few years ago mind and could say for certain on cask beer.

I suspect Tim wasn't averse to making a name for himself among breweries as a good option for getting rid of a few dozen casks/kegs in the early days, but the logistics of relying on short-date stuff when you have hundreds of pubs just doesn't really stack up. But if say a supermarket cancels an order for bottle beer I'm sure he'd be happy to take it off a brewery's hands at a suitably low price.

The real problem is just the very strict ABV price formula they work to which is almost impossible for small breweries to meet, and certainly means you won't get any fancy ingredients. I've certainly heard tales of breweries sending off pallets for a profit of £1 for the pallet and justifying it in terms of it filling the brewery and helping them meet volume targets from their malt suppliers etc, but in general supplying Spoons just doesn't really work for them.

Some Wetherspoons are much nicer than others and I have to say, I’ve never had a bad pint in one - and have had a few very good ones.

That said, I’ve been disappointed with Tim Martin’s attitude to this pandemic, but if I’m out with a few mates and we fancy a pint, would I walk past on principle? Probably not. I detest Richard Branson, yet they are a great option for flying to the States. I hate Michael O’Leary, but if I want a cheap weekend break in Europe, sometimes Ryan Air is the best option. I think it’s wrong that Halal is being practised in this country (given our previously very high animal welfare standards), but do I avoid all supermarkets or restaurants selling halal meat? No. I simply can’t be arsed.

When I raised this post it was supposed to be a straight yes or no. But it gets political with the right winger supporting Tim and the left wingers slating him. As I said on OP I boycott sadly as I like his good pubs but hate him so if I could I would close this post.

When I raised this post it was supposed to be a straight yes or no. But it gets political with the right winger supporting Tim and the left wingers slating him. As I said on OP I boycott sadly as I like his good pubs but hate him so if I could I would close this post.
I don't know him so can't hate him or dislike him, how long have you known him?
When I was in the UK last there was a Wetherspoons Beer Festival on so had quite a few pints in their establishments. There was, if I remember rightly 27 casks on, and only had one pint I disliked, not because there was anything wrong with the way it was kept, just the way it was made.
Putting on the festival gets a lot of small craft brewers into the spotlight, so that's got to be good for brewing surely.

I don't like chickens, the way they strut around with their superior airs and graces, but I eat their eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back