Will you drink in Wetherspoons when pubs re-open?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're being wilfully obtuse.
Ok then. I will assume you mean Corbyn.

I don't like his politics, but doesn't mean I don't like him. How can I judge if I've never interacted with him? He might be a right old laugh, or be a complete plonker.

I have friends that I don't agree with politics wise, but I still like them.

There is more to a person than their political leanings.

Yes but you said you didn't have to meet someone to dislike them, nothing about voting. If you don't meet them, what do you base the dislike on?
Repugnant political beliefs? Generally unpleasant demeanour? I can guarantee that I'd dislike Nigel Farage in person if that helps paint a picture?

Ok then. I will assume you mean Corbyn.

I don't like his politics, but doesn't mean I don't like him. How can I judge if I've never interacted with him? He might be a right old laugh, or be a complete plonker.

I have friends that I don't agree with politics wise, but I still like them.

There is more to a person than their political leanings.
I also have friends who vote Tory. I've generally been friends with them for longer than we've held political views though, so the ties that bind us are stronger than the views that we otherwise wouldn't be able to reconcile.

Repugnant political beliefs? Generally unpleasant demeanour? I can guarantee that I'd dislike Nigel Farage in person if that helps paint a picture?
You might not like his political beliefs, but you never know, you might like him if you met him. Rather than be influenced by a media which has political agendas.

Or you might meet him an think he is a prize plum.

My point is you never know.

I have a few friends where I don't necessarily agree with their politics, but there is no way I could be friends with someone if I found their beliefs and values to be repugnant. That's not closed-mindedness, that's integrity.
Yes, but my point is you would at least have to meet or interact with these people to gauge their beliefs and values.

Not base it on rumours, hearsay and what is reported in the media.

Also, no one said anything about making friends with anyone. What I am saying is that you might actually like a person despite their political beliefs, but it would be closed minded to prejudge people on what the media has to say about them.

Last edited:
Yes, but my point is you would at least have to meet or interact with these people to gauge their beliefs and values.

Not base it on rumours, hearsay and what is reported in the media.

It depends how their personality is reflected in the media. I try not to read newspapers that churn out rumour and hearsay, and anything I do read, I try do so dispassionately and reasonably. However, If it's direct quotations, a political leaflet or interview, or indeed a fair summary of that person's beliefs; then I think it's perfectly easy to guage their beliefs without meeting them.

Take Donald Trump for instance. I have seen enough, and heard enough from the man, directly and via the media, that I can tell you that I would not like the man.

I see the debate has moved on, as it did yesterday, from whether an opinion is justifiable to whether the owner can validly have that opinion.
Now we're examining whether meeting a person gives you a better idea of what that person is like formulating a working idea of that person through looking at the media. My pennysworth, then. Meeting a person is far, far less reliable than reading about that person in the press. A face-to-face encounter is likely to be coloured with charm, gift of the gab, a mask (or not) of sincerity, etc etc. How many of us are taken in even in daily life? Why should meeting a politician or a successful businessman be any different. "Good judge of character"? Dream on.
We know what we're getting in the press and on TV. This or that paper is politically biased in a certain way, this one is a sensationalist rag. This or that columnist writes well, but hates Labour, this other one would be better employed by the Beano. But what we can get is consensus. When all are getting at the same point from their own particular bias and so we can get a increasingly clear idea of what a person or a group or political party is like. It's true too that many of us find it difficult to detach from our preconceived ideas or (in this case and in football matches) party loyalties.

It depends how their personality is reflected in the media. I try not to read newspapers that churn out rumour and hearsay, and anything I do read, I try do so dispassionately and reasonably. However, If it's direct quotations, a political leaflet or interview, or indeed a fair summary of that person's beliefs; then I think it's perfectly easy to guage their beliefs without meeting them.

Take Donald Trump for instance. I have seen enough, and heard enough from the man, directly and via the media, that I can tell you that I would not like the man.
For sure you can gauge their political beliefs and whether you like those or not. Never disputed that.

But surely you base liking a person on more than that one facet? That is the point I am making.

For sure you can gauge their political beliefs and whether you like those or not. Never disputed that.

But surely you base liking a person on more than that one facet? That is the point I am making.
With Trump, surely you would base it on his political beliefs together with his attitude towards women.

With Trump, surely you would base it on his political beliefs together with his attitude towards women.
I don't really know what his attitude to women is. With Trump though you have to remember he is hated by most of the media both here and America. He upset the applecart by beating Clinton.

So again, never met him to find what his views on women really are.

I think you are conflating two separate points here. What has backing Brexit and putting your staff on furlough through a government scheme have to do with each other? Plenty of anti Brexit company owners will have used the same scheme? Or because he backed Brexit he has no moral right to furlough?
Because you realistically can't take the stance as the head of a company to "Go British - it's time for sovereignty and beggar the rest", then as soon as you fall on a potential loss of profit, you immediately dump your staff and beggar them as well. The guy was lording it that he was championing the UK, we were the best of the best - when actually what he meant was that he wanted to capitalise on the exit and it wasn't really all for good ole Blighty - as I would have expected him at the very least to have stood by his staff....different opinions I guess.... either way, I shan't be entering one again.

I don't really know what his attitude to women is. With Trump though you have to remember he is hated by most of the media both here and America. He upset the applecart by beating Clinton.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-50563106
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1118939.pdf
I appreciate you say not to listen to the media but the top one is a recording of a conversation and the bottom is an academic paper.

Next you’ll be telling us we shouldn’t dislike Gary Glitter or Ted Bundy because we’ve never met them!

I thought the point DDB was making was that although the rhetoric was about putting Britain first, when push came to shove it was "put Tim Martin first". We see this again in his claim that the virus doesn't spread in pubs! So while it's true that there's no moral reason why a Brexit supporting co, a Remain supporting company or a neutral company should or shouldn't lay off or furlough staff, Martin has been such an ardent campaigner for Leave and disseminator of Brexit propaganda that we can't help wondering whether that isn't the ripe whiff of hypocrisy rising from his festering wellies.
Yes exactly. It is about common decency and Tim Martin seemingly has none. I shan't be going back.

He was recorded saying "just grab 'em by the pussy" amongst other misogynistic garbage. I couldn't give a **** what the media think of him. He's a ******* arsehole. And I don't need to meet him to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back