Willamette dry hop in Stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
I’ve got a Coopers Irish Stout brewed short to 21l just about finished fermenting, it is tasting lovely out of today’s test jar but wondering if I should dry hop?

I’ve got about 50g of Willamette pellets I can use left from my last amber ale, but should I? I read they will work well in a stout. If I do what are thoughts on a tea straight into the keg rather than dry hopping for a couple of days before cold crashing (my usual approach)?

I’m interested in you’re thoughts or experience!

R

it's an excellent aroma hop in the boil, but not great as a flavour dry hop, it's pretty similar to fuggles and is a bit earthy.
It might work in a stout though.
I have used it to dry hop a pale ale, and wasn't very impressed.

I’ve got a Coopers Irish Stout brewed short to 21l just about finished fermenting, it is tasting lovely out of today’s test jar but wondering if I should dry hop?

I’ve got about 50g of Willamette pellets I can use left from my last amber ale, but should I? I read they will work well in a stout. If I do what are thoughts on a tea straight into the keg rather than dry hopping for a couple of days before cold crashing (my usual approach)?

R
I like Willamette and would happily dry hop.
Also like my stouts bittering hop only..
Is there anyway you can split the batch? Trying with and without is always a good idea for future reference 👍

R
Not really something you would be looking for in an Irish stout, I would be saving them and dry hop an English bitter.

Williamette is a really good hop for Fuggle-like flavors. I actually prefer Willamette to Fuggle. A little known fact is that Fuggle was the finishing hop for Budweiser (the kettle hop was traditonally Cluster). Anheuser-Busch financed the USDA research that led to the development of Willamette, which is a triploid (i.e., seedless) Fuggle.

Williamette is a really good hop for Fuggle-like flavors. I actually prefer Willamette to Fuggle. A little known fact is that Fuggle was the finishing hop for Budweiser (the kettle hop was traditonally Cluster). Anheuser-Busch financed the USDA research that led to the development of Willamette, which is a triploid (i.e., seedless) Fuggle.
I put Willamette into my Irish stout, one charge at 30 mins the next at 5 mins, bittering hop Northern brewer. IBU around 44. Irish stout is more about the malt than the hops. American stout, now that could be dry hopped.

Think I’m gonna leave it.....I’ve done it a few times before and it’s lovely as is so not gonna risk it!

Thanks for advice

Latest posts

Back