Willamette recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone got a decent recipe that uses Willamette for bittering with another aroma hop?

Just found an unopened 100g bag of Willamette in my hop stash that I need to use up. Got a few other hops hanging around: Cascade and Styrian Goldings, so hoping to make a use-up brew.

If it helps Styrian and Cascade are used in Hobgoblin style ales. Plenty of clone recipes that use a little Cascade in the finishing hops

Same issue here, if you can wait another month, I can tell you the outcome :beer1:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 21.04.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 21.04.48.png
    143 KB · Views: 168
I'd try the Tribute clone. Willamette is the hop for this...I tried A clone but it wasn't right. I dont think you could go far wrong with that malt bill but I'd be tempted to bitter with something neutral like Magnum or EKG wouldn't harm and keep some Willamette for a dry hop to really get that certain aroma.

Many thanks - Tribute clone it is. I work down in Cornwall occasionally and so it's a regular evening beer for me.

I don't have any Magnum or EKG I'm looking to use up this packet of Willamette as it's getting a bit old. Think I bought it to do Proper Job again but never got the other hops.

Willamette is a triploid Fuggle, but tends to be grown in sunnier climes than mid Kent, so is a bit more citrusy. So it's just fine in anything you'd normally use Fuggles in.

The recipe including the grain bill/hop additions etc posted by Cheshire Cat, is that based on a 60min mash and 60 min boil, sounds like a good recipe, I like Tribute one of my go to beers if nothing else available after visiting the brewery in Cornwall and tasting it at the brewery tap

Many thanks - Tribute clone it is. I work down in Cornwall occasionally and so it's a regular evening beer for me.

I don't have any Magnum or EKG I'm looking to use up this packet of Willamette as it's getting a bit old. Think I bought it to do Proper Job again but never got the other hops.
When I originally read this my first thought was either Proper Job or Lagunitas IPA which both use Willamette and some other C hops.

But yeah, I think Tribute is the way to go - and since I've got some Willamette in stock and haven't done a bitter for a while I think I might have a bash myself as it's one I'd put on my to-brew list ages ago :beer1:

I like the Tribute idea, I have a pack of Williamette in the freezer, opened last month. If I bitter with Magnum, there should be enough Williamette left for the flavour addition.

There's no good reason why you can't use cascade for bittering and save the Willamette for dry hopping as Clint suggests. If you've got any left over, tape up the bag and chuck them in the freezer.

There's no good reason why you can't use cascade for bittering and save the Willamette for dry hopping as Clint suggests. If you've got any left over, tape up the bag and chuck them in the freezer.

True, but I want to get rid of the Willamette not the Cascade: the Willamette is a couple of years older than my other hops and has been hanging around so I'm keen to use it up.

True, but I want to get rid of the Willamette not the Cascade: the Willamette is a couple of years older than my other hops and has been hanging around so I'm keen to use it up.
That's what I thought, so you might have a bit of trouble hitting the target IBUs. The alpha acids tend to degrade in older hops even if they've been stored well. Certainly other components come into play that contribute to the overall bitterness, but it can be a bit hit and miss.
Regardless of all that, go for it.

Here's what I went with in the end, it's mashing now. OG 1045, I do a reduced-volume boil so have compensated for that in the hop volumes, aiming for 38 IBU. Added some Styrians at the end for aroma as I've got a load of those to use up too (3 packets plus my home-grown ones - why did I get so many???)

Grain Bill
----------------
4.350 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.44%)
0.200 kg Crystal 25 (4.16%)
0.130 kg Caramunich I (2.7%)
0.130 kg Torrified Wheat (2.7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
58.0 g Willamette Leaf (5.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.5 g/L)
38.0 g Willamette Leaf (5.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
32.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.4 g/L)

Latest posts

Back