Will's Olde English Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok, so this is my very first own brew.

Will's Olde English Ale

Not sure why, i just saw it here and went for it.

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/wills-olde-english-ale-beerworks-craft-brewery-series/

Bottle last Sunday morning and to be honest, i have been like a kid on the lead up to Christmas.
Brought the crates in from the garage as it is very warm in there and have shoved them under the stairs as it is the only "cooler place" i can find.
Temptation got the better of me and i had to open one of the intended sample bottles... The week one one, that i was keeping until sunday.

20180803_154805.jpg

This is what i was presented with.

Very good carbonation already. I used approx 120 grams of dextrose for approx 20 litres.

Still just on the cloudy side. Hopefully will clear further and condition in a cooler place now.

Very clear to what it was on initial bottling.

Now the taste.... I think it is very good already. Does it get better over the next 2 or 3 weeks? Should i pop a couple in the fridge and test those?

Tasted quite strong but definitely not unpleasant. Sg was 1050 and Fg was 1012 if i remember right.

Has, obviously a nice ale taste, not too sweet, not too bitter. I am really pleased there is none of that "homebrew" taste, hard to describe but i am sure you gents here know what i mean....

I am amazed what has effectively come from a plastic bucket that sat for 2+ weeks in the corner of my kitchen.

Anyway, trumpets away, but i am happy at what i have made and am even more impressed the way homebrew has improved over the last 25+ years since my dad tried it.

One final word in my ramblings, just a thanks to all for the advice so far, i still have many more questions i am sure. My next brew will be a Bulldog Bad Cat Imperial Red.

Thank you again.

If it tastes like it looks, then I think your first brew is a hit !
clapa
Cold storage should make it more clear, but by the way, I think it’s already pretty clear.

Cheers !:beer1:

Thank you.

Hopefully the cooler area will help a little.

One thing I didn't mention is that I did a couple more samples using one and two carbonation drops.
Haven't opened them yet but I must say the amount of sediment in the bottom of these with the drops seems huge compared to the dextrose solution mixed in... ?

Looking good! Congrats! And it even was on sale! Next time use plain sugar, works as good. And you're brewing ales, those yeasty boys are way more heat-resistant than those snowflake lager yeasts. Yup, you're on a good track. The Bad Cat looks promising too: both a good oompf from IBU as from ABV!

Back