Windows 11 is Coming.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They said in 2015 windows 10 would be the final version it looks like they changed their mind.

If it's stable and boots a bit quicker I'm in. Mind you those in the know say that every other version is total pants. Can't remember all of them now but XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad. Up to now I've been happy enough with 10 so I hope they don't break things again with 11

Cheers Tom

Remember Windows millennium what a pile of steaming ***** that was.

I am also happy with windows 10 lets hope they don't screw it up.

1622404369947.png

XP and 98 was pretty decent to be fair.Win 10 has been great, been a few years since i needed a complete fresh install.

edit:- my only gripe with win 10 is any big update, and it resets all my sound card settings.

Configuring soundblaster clone cards with a batch file in dos to reinitialise them at the start of games

Set blaster something something, was that long ago it's faded from memory 🤓

Cheers Tom

Personally I’m a Mac OS kind of woman but for my sins I used to write code for Windows software from the 90’s through to about 5 years ago. I have a feeling of dread about some of the DOS code and executables that I wrote that are low level processes for some health services…. That an update to Windows will one day break one of them and I’ll get a call fix something I wrote 15 or so years ago 😱

Anna

Personally I’m a Mac OS kind of woman but for my sins I used to write code for Windows software from the 90’s through to about 5 years ago. I have a feeling of dread about some of the DOS code and executables that I wrote that are low level processes for some health services…. That an update to Windows will one day break one of them and I’ll get a call fix something I wrote 15 or so years ago 😱

Anna
One of the first things I was told by a more experienced programmer was "never put your name on anything". That way they can't come after you later.

[edit]
That was in the days before source control that stamps your name on every check in.

Anna

The days of DOS were my favourite days in computing, you had far better control and where you needed more, a simple call to some assembly routines. Most programmes were a few kilobytes or had to be paged - well you did only have 640KB RAM. I loved it! I also coded in assembly language for 8080, Z80, 6502, 68000 CPU’s. Stuff of dreams. <sigh>

The days of DOS were my favourite days in computing, you had far better control and where you needed more, a simple call to some assembly routines. Most programmes were a few kilobytes or had to be paged - well you did only have 640KB RAM. I loved it! I also coded in assembly language for 8080, Z80, 6502, 68000 CPU’s. Stuff of dreams. <sigh>
Hah 640K of RAM - luxury 😆 While at school in computer class on the BBC micro I tried to copy some of the iterative fractal type graphics I'd read about in New Scientist but would routinely run out of memory space for any decent sized arrays, so ended up using the video RAM as a working memory space, which at least made it very colourful to watch while it was working ☺, would also split up the 8 bits in each memory state to store multiple variables if the values could be kept small integers. You had to make the best use of every tiny bit of memory.

Latest posts

Back