Windsor - stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I did an English IPA last week that ended up way bigger than intended - came in at 1074 where I was aiming for 1062. No idea how this happened, based on the brewing software calculations this means I was 95% efficient which is way above where I've been before. Anyway, I pitched the one pack of Windsor that I'd bought and it appears to have stalled at 1030. Admittedly it's only been a week and it may well come down further, but I've got an emergency pack of Crossmyloof pale ale yeast in the freezer - do you think it's worth waiting to see what happens, leaving it at 1030 or pitching extra yeast?

I'd leave it for another week, perhaps give it a rouse now. Doesn't Windsor finish high(ish) anyway, around 1020°?
I believe it is a high finisher, but 1030 is higher than I'd have expected. I'll probably rouse it, move it to the living room where it can come up a couple of degrees and see where we are next week. If I have to pitch the other yeast I suppose there's nothing to lose, if it goes no further I can cold crash the new yeast out before I bottle. Cheers for the input.

Windsor has a reputation of finishing high.
According to recent DNA research Windsor and S-33 are really close and I've had issues with it not going as low as I want.

Windsor has a reputation of finishing high.
According to recent DNA research Windsor and S-33 are really close and I've had issues with it not going as low as I want.
I stuck a sachet of Crossmyloof pale ale yeast in last night to try and get it down a few more points. The samples taste good, but 1030 is just too high...

If you are concerned as to Nottingham changing the flavor of the beer, all of the flavorful esters and phenols created by the Windsor will still be there. Nottingham can't erase them. It can only eat sugars that Windsor can not or is not eating. It is known that Windsor can't convert maltotriose into alcohol, whereas Nottingham can. Up to ~15% of your sugar might be in this form.

If you are concerned as to Nottingham changing the flavor of the beer, all of the flavorful esters and phenols created by the Windsor will still be there. Nottingham can't erase them. It can only eat sugars that Windsor can not or is not eating. It is known that Windsor can't convert maltotriose into alcohol, whereas Nottingham can. Up to ~15% of your sugar might be in this form.
Thanks, but as per my last post I've already put another pack of pretty attenuative pale ale yeast in there. Coming up to 24 hours later there's no sign of airlock activity - I'll check the gravity again in a day or two.

Latest posts

Back