Wine "bag in a box"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbie1710

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Im looking to do a 30 bottle wine kit but wondered if anyone has any advice or tips for maybe using a bag in a box rather than cleaning and bottling 30 bottles?

can you once fermenting finished just pur into the bags and then leave for a while to mature or are there specific stages that need to be completed elsewhere first?

does any one know of a good place or have any experience of where to buy good ones from?

Thanks for any help

I was thinking the same thing today and would have posted the same thread if I'd remembered. (Except for the 30 bottle kit, I haven't got that much of 1 type of wine on the go, I was just thinking out of curiosity.)

I have no experience with them but you may find more search results on the forum using the term 'poly pin'. It is not uncommon for them to be used so far as I am aware. I know they are sold in various sizes between roughly 5 and 20L

Earlier in the year somebody posted a link to a site selling different sized Poypins which sounds just like you are after. Unfortunately I have had PC problems and lost my bookmarks so can give you the link.

I have been using a 5litre box I got from Amazon.

Cost about £4, and so far been filled 3 times.

Very simple to use, tap pulls off, syphon in wine, I put some vaseline around tap and push it back in.

Cardboard gets a little dog eared, but it does a job, and several of these would be easier than 30 bottles, not sure what the lifespan of wine is, as I generally go with the 'a little sample' option, constantly from it.

MadrikXIV said:
not sure what the lifespan of wine is, as I generally go with the 'a little sample' option, constantly from it.

Well you've got to check it's still in good condition! Otherwise, how will you know that the last glassful is worth drinking?

I've been using the wine boxes from Amazon too. They're good for 3 or 4 refills. I'm about to order a few more as I've got a 30 bottle kit nearly ready for bottling.

robbie1710 said:
can you once fermenting finished just pur into the bags and then leave for a while to mature or are there specific stages that need to be completed elsewhere first?

i always use the bags with my wines as i serve at family parties and its easy to put in middle of table. after fermentation i rack off to second vessel adding the usual campden tablet per gallon and kwik clear if necessary, then allow to clear and to bulk age for months then a couple of days before drinking siphon into the bags and put into their boxes and leave in the shed

bring out the shed on drinking day. most bags from a home-brew shops are nice and cheap and allow easy sterilize and refill.

:hat: alex

Back