Wine Chemicals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys! šŸ˜Š

I cannot find the answer to my question so I am starting a thread. Hope this is ok.

I would like some input on the for's and against's of using chemicals in wine-making. I haven't tried it without yet and wondered if it would make a difference.

The reason I ask is that I don't like dry wines so I normally stop the fermentation early and then don't need to back-sweeten. However I am considering changing the way I do things so instead would be letting the wine ferment out to dryness and back-sweetening.

Obviously then the problems start - possible re-fermentation if using sugar (I don't want to use sweetener as it's disgusting!).

Which way do you all do it and why please?

i always ferment to completion and if it is too dry (i like a dry wine) will add a little sweetener which isn't fermentable.
it's always easier to add than to take away etc.
EDIT
which sweeteners have you tried that haven't been to your taste?

I understand that when the immature and partially under-fermented wine has reached the level of dryness/sweetness you prefer, you can stop the fermentation by adding potassium sorbate and then leave the wine to clear and bottle as normal.

I understand that when the immature and partially under-fermented wine has reached the level of dryness/sweetness you prefer, you can stop the fermentation by adding potassium sorbate and then leave the wine to clear and bottle as normal.

This is what I do currently, but would like to know if people have had success leaving out the chemicals and back-sweetening. I really don't like using them. I think it affects the flavour.

i always ferment to completion and if it is too dry (i like a dry wine) will add a little sweetener which isn't fermentable.
it's always easier to add than to take away etc.
EDIT
which sweeteners have you tried that haven't been to your taste?

All sweeteners to me have an artificial flavour. Reminds me of those dreadful saccharin things that my mother used to use when I was little.

Then you'll have to go through the rigmarole of crash chilling your wine to around freezing for 5-6 days, racking off the sediment and then filtering through sterile wine filters. This should take out better than 99% of the yeast, but you'll still need to keep an eye on the bottles, just in case.
Alternatively you could use a low attenuation yeast. Most of the wine yeasts are high attenuation, see chart:
https://winemakermag.com/resource/yeast-strains-chartand only the Vintners beer yeasts pack up at around 13% abv. You could try using one of the "cleaner" beer yeasts- Safale US-05 will tolerate 9-11%, for example, but you'd need to keep the fermentation temperature down low. Also limit any yeast nutrient you're adding.
EDIT: The mead yeast only ferments up to 11% so just keep adding syrup until you've got the required sweetness and fermentation is finished.

Last edited:
Which way do you all do it and why please?

We didn't like dry wine when we first started so to avoid fermentation starting in the bottles when back sweetening we used to add a teaspoon of sugar to the bottles we were going to drink that night and shake the hell out of them, this did the trick, eventually we got used to dryer wines and we never now sweeten.

Last edited:
Most people start off liking sweet wines and then tend towards drier and drier wine,Why I am not really sure.
But it does seem somewhat universal.
If you must have sweet wine The only really safe way (using glass bottles) is to sweeten on the night as suggested by chippy.

Or better still carry on brewing and cultivate a dry wine palate. :laugh8:

You could always try pasteurising it, but it would probably affect the taste. Not tried it myself, but in principal, it should work...
I don't use any unnecessary chemicals if I can help it...

An Ankou my friend are you saying you are unable to imbibe ??????
Thank you for your kind concern. Not at all. I was weaned on pints and no matter how much wine or spirits I drink, I'm still looking around for a pint until my belly tells me there's beer inside it. So I tend to avoid wine as it doesn't mix well with beer, and limit myself to the occasional Talisker or calva to round off a good flagon or two and a meal.
Sorry to startle you. :beer1:

My wife likes sweet wine. What I do is make whatever wine she fancies, and let it ferment out completely then add the required amount of sugar. To prevent any fermentation we just keep it in the fridge.

this is one of the choices I was considering. Space might be an issue though depending on how many batches I make.

The drier it is, the more alcohol there is. A win-win situation.
I love wine. I wish I could drink it!

I tend to not agree with this, I think the stronger it is the more flavour you lose. Donā€™t wanna taste alcohol and nothing else. Iā€™m wanting to make fruit wines mostly. I despise dry wine and would never make one and I refuse to learn to like it, lol šŸ˜‡

I tend to not agree with this, I think the stronger it is the more flavour you lose. Donā€™t wanna taste alcohol and nothing else. Iā€™m wanting to make fruit wines mostly. I despise dry wine and would never make one and I refuse to learn to like it, lol šŸ˜‡
Sounds like a glass of fruit juice with a shot of vodka in it would save a lot of time and effort. :laugh8:

Sounds like a glass of fruit juice with a shot of vodka in it would save a lot of time and effort. :laugh8:

Youā€™re probably right, but experimenting is part of the fun for me! šŸ˜€ Also I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary to drink rocket fuel all the time. Iā€™d prefer an extra glass of lower ABV than a really strong one.

Last edited:
Back