Wine Conditioning post fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinBase

Reaction score
Hi

After fermentation has fully stopped, i currently rack my wine into demijohns, add 1/16th tsp SodMet per gall, plus fermentation stopper & seal with either a bung and bubbler, or use a plastic safety stopper (if it fits the demijohn, some dont due to varying DJ neck sizes), leaving for 6 months min to condition before backsweetening and bottling

I currently use a bubbler or safety stopper even though i am quite sure fermentation has stopped because even though i think it probably safest, i also *believe* it will help any co2 escape and thus aid with degassing, and up to press this works great, and naturally seems to remove any gas so i dont need a wand on the end of a drill later !!

however, due to the increasing number of demijohns i have and limited height available when i have to fit a bubbler, i wonder if it would make any difference if i just used a solid rubber bung instead? would the wine naturally degass in months 2-6, even when the DJ was sealed, and would it potentially cause any problems.

please let me know how you store wine in demijohns to condition until it's time to backsweeten and bottle. any ideas welcome

thanks

Bob

I have 4 dj's sitting in my garage atm, each with an airlock. There is probably no need after stabilising. I do this with shop bought stabiliser as opposed to camden tablets. You could leave a week after stabilising then just add a stopper. I also bought a pack of CLEAR IT it gas cleared everything very well so far. As i have just set away 5 gallon of rhubarb and sultana, i hope thst trend carries on. I usually top up with apple juice, when necessary.

I have 4 dj's sitting in my garage atm, each with an airlock. There is probably no need after stabilising.
When you add stabiliser gas can be given off so its best to use an airlock to let it escape, as you say after it has stabilised a solid bung would be fine.

I do this with shop bought stabiliser as opposed to camden tablets.

I am not trying to teach gran how to suck eggs here but a lot of new members get confused with what campden tablets can and cannot to so to help them -

What Campden Tablets Won’t Do?
Contrary to what most people believe, Campden tablets will not stop a fermentation completely so they should not be used to stabilise a wine. If you add Campden tablets whilst there is active fermentation the yeast is likely to stall but eventually they will restart.

https://homebrewanswers.com/campden...ost people,will eventually they will restart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back