Wine fermation - still bubbling after 16 days???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs

Reaction score
Our Wilko home brew Cabernet Sauvignon has been fermenting now for 16 days with no signs of stopping! Is this normal? (The kit says it's 10 days).

Is there any kind of time limit on fermentation? Will the wine spoil? Is there any sense in adding the finings now? Sorry but we're new to this!

Babs.

It can be normal as the kits want to give the impression that it can be made quicker for a sales ploy however in real life it usually takes longer than they suggest. It will not spoil as it is producing Co2 (thats what the bubbles are) which protects the wine from air which is what spoils wine. Just be patient if it is in a demijon you will see the wine starting to clear and all the yeast etc settling at the bottom as it nears the end of fermentation. If you have a hydrometer you should test the wine when this happens and the instructions should give you a guide of roughly where it should end, normal white and red wines (dryish) should be 0.994 or 0.996 on the hydrometer which is safe to bottle

Thanks, The Baron!

Yes it is in a demijohn. I have a hydrometer and will take a reading tomorrow.

Thanks for the information.

is a 6 bottle kit
how much sugar did you against the instructions
and did you take a hydrometer reading at the start and what was it

Yes it's a 6 bottle kit. (Wilko's Cabernet Sauvignon)
We added 450g of sugar as per the instructions (500g of brewing sugar was included in the kit).

We didn't take a reading at the beginning as it didn't mention it in the instructions and we didn't get the hydrometer until AFTER the yeast had gone in.

The wine is still bubbling once every 4-5 seconds (we started it 16 days ago).

Hi Babs
thats fine if this is a success and you decide to make more you need to take a hydrometer reading at the start and the end called a OG -original gravity and a FG final gravity with that you can also tell the strength of the wine by taking them away from each other and using a online ABV calculator. Patience is the word in brewing and do not worry if it takes longer as I have said the instructions are very optimistic just watch for it clearing which gives a idea it is near the end

Friday update!

18 days and still bubbling like crazy! (once per 4 seconds).

Patience is a virtue Babs just let it run its course it will slow down. Did you take a reading the other day if so what was it?

Hi Babs I didn't see the thread as it was in the beer forums (I've moved it here)
Wine instructions are overly optimistic so ignore them either use a hydrometer or wait until you only see a bubble every couple of minutes.

I did a wilko's Rose kit and it took aaaaaagggggeeeeeessssss to stop fermenting (even in a temperature controlled brew fridge), and then aaaaaaaaggggggeeeeeessss to clear so I could bottle it. Initially, it tasted pants, and I thought my better half wouldn't like it, but after a few weeks in the bottle it was proclaimed 'very good', which is high praise, believe me.

Stick with it, leave it alone till it finishes, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks Baron, Chippy Tea and Jjsh for all your advice and help.

Took a reading today and it was 1.030 which is still pretty way off right? As I said I didn't take a reading at the beginning as the kit didn't tell us to.

Had a sneaky taste while syphoning into the trial jar and it was still really sweet but somehow had the impression that it was quite strong (reminded me of a sweet sherry tbh!)

Will keep you updated, thanks again!

Babs.

You only need to take a reading at the start if you want to work out the %ABV so its not really important, i don't know what the instructions suggest but most of the kits i have made have said to stop fermentation at .995 or below so as you say you have a bit to go yet.

If you want to try making your own wine that you could be drinking within a couple of weeks and without picking fruit have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks for the advice again Chippy. I sent you a conversion. Hope that's OK.

UPDATE!

Thanks Tom, that reassures me a bit! The things still bubbling like mad and it was started three weeks ago today!

28 days now and STILL burbling away (11 second intervals or thereabouts so maybe it's slowing down!)

Not unless it comes out at about 4o%!

The other brew (Wine number 2) was started exactly three weeks later and we're adding the finings today, ready to bottle Wednesday! I would definitely recommend BelVino over Wilko!

And I would definitely recommend Cumbria over Dumfries and Galloway. Just came back from a 30 mile round trip to our only brew suppliers in the county on a mission to get Pectolase and they didn't have any!!!! Have to go to Carlisle now (fume!)

Latest posts

Back