Wine for a beer brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Good Morning All.

I'm looking for advice, I normally brew beer, grain, hops, water and yeast. It's been a long time since I made wine, although I still have the equipment, as a result I don't know were to begin to make the wines I enjoy.

I'll list a few types that I enjoy in the hope that it will enable members to point me in the right direction.

Fleurie
Merlot
Primitivo

Many Thanks. Aamcle

I haven't a clue about Fleurie and Primitivo but there are plenty of Merlot kits out there.

You could also give supermarket juice wine a try try red grape juice and apple juice for a start (see recipe below) and see what you think, there are a couple of guide videos in the first post here - Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine (WOW) .....

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg

5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

I haven't a clue about Fleurie and Primitivo but there are plenty of Merlot kits out there.

Fleurie is a village in Beaujolais and its wine is one of the "named" Beaujolais crus - so the top level in Beaujolais, still made from Gamay grapes like other Beaujolais. You tend to pay a bit of a premium as it has a pretty name that Anglo-Saxons can remember...

Primitivo is a variety from the "heel" of Italy that's a very close relative of Californian Zinfandel - it's very juicy, plummy without much tannin.

Add in merlot and it's clear that @aamcle is looking for soft, fruit-forward red wines without much tannin. I'm no expert on wine kits, but someone who is should be able to take it from there...

Latest posts

Back