Wine from used beer grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
I tried an experiment on 28th Jan using the spent grains from one of my all grain brews to make wine......I dunno why I just had a feeling it would be good.
Well I bottled it this morning and it is feckin gorgeous, I cannot remember the last time a wine tasted this good at bottling.

So I went and retrieved the carrier bag of spent grain from yesterdays all grain Guinness clone off the doorstep where I had dumped it yesterday (sorry chickens!) and put that on as a wine to see if that will turn out anywhere near as good.

Recipes here
1. Wine from used all grain wheat beer.
Used grain from 1 gallon batch of all grain wheat beer
1kg of sugar
1 tsp of pectolase
1tsp yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1075 - 998

2. Wine from used all grain Guinness clone
Used grain from 2 gallon batch of all grain Guinness clone
2kg of sugar
2 tsp of pectolase
2tsp of yeast
2tsp of yeast nutrient
3 tbsp of lemon juice
OG 1075
Fingers crossed!

Saves me dumping it on the compost. Which seems to be more grain than soil at the mo.

I've made carrot and spent hop wine before. Currently have carrot and corriander seeds on the go. ;-)

If the grain was for 1 gallon of beer make 1 gallon of wine if grain was for 2 gals beer make 2 gals wine etc

Dump ya used grain into a clean FV add water to amount required ie 5L or 10L etc, add pectolase and yeast nutrient and lemon juice, dump sugar in a pan and pour boiling water over it and stir til clear, a litre of water for 1kg sugar and 2L of water for 2kg sugar add to FV and check SG and add more sugar if you want stronger wine, when happy with SG and temp is below 25C add wine yeast, leave to ferment etc as normal

If the grain was for 1 gallon of beer make 1 gallon of wine if grain was for 2 gals beer make 2 gals wine etc

Dump ya used grain into a clean FV add water to amount required ie 5L or 10L etc, add pectolase and yeast nutrient and lemon juice, dump sugar in a pan and pour boiling water over it and stir til clear, a litre of water for 1kg sugar and 2L of water for 2kg sugar add to FV and check SG and add more sugar if you want stronger wine, when happy with SG and temp is below 25C add wine yeast, leave to ferment etc as normal

That's really straight forward, will have to give it a go. Will get some PET bottles and some wine yeast.

I dumped the guinness clone spent grain wine this week, it wasn't very nice and I gave it a little more time hoping it might improve but it got worse, it had a drying mouth affect like too much tannin and had that rusty nail taste guinness gets when left in the line too long between pints :doh:

If only the local HBS sold some kind of air still :confused.:. Sounds like Whiskey time to me!!!

If only the local HBS sold some kind of air still :confused.:. Sounds like Whiskey time to me!!!

Sadly, Shaun, it is sort of technically illegal. You can make wine or brew beer, but not distil spirits. Closest is to do a "wash" with a very highly alcohol tolerant yeast. Never done so myself, but some may have. Would not recommend it myself, or distillation, as the risks, such as they are, are enhanced at the edges of what is feasible.

Unless you know what you are doing, then not doing it seems wise.

Personally I think the law is a bit of a mess in this regard.
As i understand it brewing beer was illegal at one time but not wine !!!!
That said distilling does represent a fire hazard.

Personally I think the law is a bit of a mess in this regard.
As i understand it brewing beer was illegal at one time but not wine !!!!
That said distilling does represent a fire hazard.

Not when you use an electric element still. No more dangerouse than pouring thinners in to a pot and cleaning things with it.

I wish theh would let you distill for personal use. Maby even put it that you need a license (like firearms) to do it.

I think you are still making beer. Beer is made from grain, hence why sake is actually really a beer and whisky can be considered distilled beer.
Wine is usually made from grapes or potentially other fruits.
I’m deliberately avoiding classifying the stuff like parsnip wine etc!

interesting experiment though and that it came out tasting good.

Re itry I cant see the law changing anytime soon.
If anything the powers that be seem to be keen on increasing restrictions and costs of alcohol consumption.
My fire hazard comment was aimed at leaky equipment not a properly run operation.

Latest posts

Back