Wine has become fizzy, like prosseco

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBoy27

Reaction score
Hi all

Hope everyone’s doing well.

Tonight I have opened a bottle of tropical wine (supermarket ingredients). Made around Christmas last year.

The wine seems to have carbonated in the bottle. It’s lovely! albeit now I’m a bit paranoid that the wine bottles might go pop! As I never intended on making carbonated wine..

Is there better ways to end fermentation?

John

Potassium sorbate and/or campden tablets added a day or two before bottling will slow/stop further fermentation. If they're only very slightly sparkling, drink as soon as possible. If a bit more fizzy, decant into a bucket, add the above, and re-bottle after a couple of days...

...Otherwise, they may well go BANG!!!

If you don't have too many bottles and they are screw top you could always release the co2 every couple of days so they don't go bang.

Potassium sorbate and/or campden tablets added a day or two before bottling will slow/stop further fermentation. If they're only very slightly sparkling, drink as soon as possible. If a bit more fizzy, decant into a bucket, add the above, and re-bottle after a couple of days...

...Otherwise, they may well go BANG!!!

Thanks VW911 very much appreciatedi knew someone on here would be able to help. :-)

The wine isn’t majorly bubbly like champagne but there is a sparkling quality to it in the glass and it has certainly added “class” to what i labelled it as (blue collar trashy tropical wine)!

You have put my mind at ease slightly and they’ll now be getting put into a bucket until I can drink them…

If you don't have too many bottles and they are screw top you could always release the co2 every couple of days so they don't go bang.

Sadly Chippy_Tea I have been using corks in my bottles…..

Thankfully I only have 5 bottles which are now safely stored in a bucket in the kitchen - the ceilings are 11 foot tall so hopefully I shouldn’t get a cork lodged in the ceiling!

It happens especially if its bottled in the winter months, the warmer weather can kick it into life. I store in the garage and do what Chippy suggested. Get some screw tops for the next batch.

I had this problem with apple wine a cpl years ago and put it down to bottling too early and maybe forgetting to add fermentation stopper after backsweetening so fermentation re-started, but i havent had the problem since.

I also had an issue adding a campden and fermentation stopper after backsweetening just prior to bottling, whereby the clarity of my strawberry wine dulled, and after mucho researching found that it was possibly the binding agents in the campden that were the culprit, so now i add the fermentation stopper when i rack off as soon as fermentation stops, and never use campdens any more, instead i use 1/16th tsp of Sod. Met per gallon (which is the active ingredient in campdens)

GL
Bob

I forgot to mention - I add nothing apart fro pectic enzyme if I think it needs it, very rarely - just try and get it to work out fully. Sometimes the wine ends up too dry but I will have a sweet one to mix with it somewhere.

It happens especially if its bottled in the winter months, the warmer weather can kick it into life. I store in the garage and do what Chippy suggested. Get some screw tops for the next batch.
[/QUOTE

Trummy that’s interesting you should say that about Bottling during the winter months. Can this happen with wine kits as well?

I had this problem with apple wine a cpl years ago and put it down to bottling too early and maybe forgetting to add fermentation stopper after backsweetening so fermentation re-started, but i havent had the problem since.

I also had an issue adding a campden and fermentation stopper after backsweetening just prior to bottling, whereby the clarity of my strawberry wine dulled, and after mucho researching found that it was possibly the binding agents in the campden that were the culprit, so now i add the fermentation stopper when i rack off as soon as fermentation stops, and never use campdens any more, instead i use 1/16th tsp of Sod. Met per gallon (which is the active ingredient in campdens)

GL
Bob

Hi Bob,

Was your apple wine made with supermarket juice?

I haven’t tried back sweetening yet but do generally prefer quite a dry wine. Personal preference I guess. Although when making this wine I was aiming for something sweet.

From the notes that I had scribbled down I had added the campden tablet to the fermentation vessel. Would not degassing properly also be a contributing factor.

john

Latest posts

Back