Wine kit gone wrong (I think)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janulka098

Reaction score
Oh dear. Just bottled wilko Sauvignon blanc wine kit and the half bottle left in the fridge smells a bit like vinegar!
Brewed it exactly the same as my wows and sterilised everything but this one might be a gonner :( ...
All the rest turned out well - not sure where I have gone wrong :(

Might've just been a rogue bottle that you missed cleaning or sanitizing! Wouldn't worry about 1/2 an already opened bottle.

I find even with store bought wine that some just can't be left once opened where some are fine the next day. I have a vacuvin stopper than helps but some just don't keep.

Hm will try to open another one in couple of days but If that it is the same they all might be drain cleaners :( such a shame. Fingers crossed. Or might be a infection ... left all the bottles in Milton sterilising solution for a while. Maybe have to look into another means of sterilising :)

Not sure about this one still. The wine tastes ok but the smell is quite strong and hits you when drinking not making it very pleasant :) - perhaps it is sulfites and I just need to leave the wine alone maturing for a bit? This is the first kit that turned out like this. Made few Solomon Grundy and Beaverdales but the wilko sac blanc really throws up a bit of a stink. Perhaps they included too much sulfites and that’s what makes it pong? Hopefully better in few weeks. It did not turn into vinegar as I assume it would in the few days I left it in bottle. Maybe just a waiting game for it to get better?

I think I cracked it! The wine smells like campden tablets. I assume that the stabilising sachet was quite large and it makes the wine smell a bit. I opened a bottle of campden tablets and realised it’s the same smell. Sour oniony vinegary smell. Hopefully it will go after a while - or will just decant every time I drink and give it a good stir.

Some people are allergic/intollerant to preservatives so don't use sulphites at all, I think the only issues are if u haven't fully fermented the wine and u end up with bottle bombs and when keeping for over a year. Again im sure someone like chippytea will be able to shed more light on the subject if u ask.

Thank you so much for your reply. Perhaps they included a little bit too much in their little bag. Will try and use 1 campden tab instead of what’s included. As normally 1 tab in gallon is absolutely fine taste wise. Wine is ok if I pour it and then bubble it with straw (great fun, have not done that since being a kid ;)
Brewed so much stuff these past few weeks! Thankfully only had trouble with few :) Definitely building up stash so some can actually mature ...

Latest posts

Back