Wine kit value for money

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spitting Feathers home brew do Mosti Mondiale skin pack, used one loose in fermenter in July, have only tasted stirring spoon but it very different than other kits I’ve done, my wine is ageing now in carboy, I’m now ageing for at least a year if I can resist it, then ageing in oak barrel for a few months, this is my attempt to create wine similar to shop bought red wine.
Thanks for this. This was exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to decide what red kit to go for and try adding this.

I have emailed the suppliers to see what delivery would cost to the Highlands. I think it's free for you Saasenachs!

I wonder if 4kg will fit into a demijohn; if not I'll use a fermenting bucket!

Would be interested in the delivery charge to the highlands please @kelper as I'd quite like to try these in my next red - although got enough bottled at the moment to last me about a year at least, I like beer too much!

Would be interested in the delivery charge to the highlands please @kelper as I'd quite like to try these in my next red - although got enough bottled at the moment to last me about a year at least, I like beer too much!
Give them a ring; they did not answer my query on their webform. They open at 11am.

There are hundreds of ways to improve a basic wine kit, to better suit the needs or requirements you personally want.

Wow K did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :laugh8:
I'm encouraging HRP to spread his vast knowledge of winemaking! I don't need to be patronised by MSJ with rather obvious suggestions. But I tried to temper my grumpiness with a silly face. Sorry.

Riiiiiiiight well I’m sorry for ‘patronising’ you lol

I mean sh!t esé sorry for just throwing that sh!t out there like I was trying to be helpful or something.

I like that MSJ though. That’s tidy

I know they are not favoured by most on the forum but I started with 4 cheap 7 day kits (winebuddy, solGrund)
It's not that they're frowned on, they're just not really comparable to 'real' wine - well the reds aren't. Anyway, that's fine because you're going to be drinking them as 'giddy pop' or barbeque fuel anyway. If they sold Ribena that got you drunk for 55p a bottle would you grizzle? Christ no. WOWs are sort of the same.

They do the job but they don't compare to real wines even if you like them more, which loads of people will.

It's not that they're frowned on, they're just not really comparable to 'real' wine - well the reds aren't. Anyway, that's fine because you're going to be drinking them as 'giddy pop' or barbeque fuel anyway. If they sold Ribena that got you drunk for 55p a bottle would you grizzle? Christ no. WOWs are sort of the same.

They do the job but they don't compare to real wines even if you like them more, which loads of people will.
Yeah but they are stupid money for that much home brew wine.

Anyway, that's fine because you're going to be drinking them as 'giddy pop' or barbeque fuel anyway. If they sold Ribena that got you drunk for 55p a bottle would you grizzle? Christ no. WOWs are sort of the same.

This is exactly what I tried to teach my son & his friends in 6th form.
And they drank the ribena and the vimto wine they made
Althought the optimal cost was using Lidl Blackberry & apple squash :laugh8::beer1:

It's not that they're frowned on, they're just not really comparable to 'real' wine - well the reds aren't.
I've just finished some wine made with tart cherry juice. It was dark red and full bodied. No tannin was added.
When I make my next kit wine, I'll add some grape skins to one of the bottles as an experiment.

Back