Wine making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacalou

Reaction score
Hi all not officially started yet, still getting some kit together. I've got some 19l water bottles in the office from those cold water dispenser thingys. They have a very tight fitting cap on them that could easily be drilled out to take an air lock. My question is could I use them for making 1gallon wine kits until I try the larger kits? Thanks.

Sterilising them might be tricky as they only have a small hole.

The CO2 produced during fermentation will protect your wine so 15 litres of head-space will not be a problem but most of the "larger" wine kits are 22.5 - 23 litres so unless you are going to make them very short (17 litres as you will need a couple of litres head-space for fermentation) they are not going to fit.

You could buy 5 litres of water and use the bottle as a DJ by drilling a 8.5 - 9 mm hole in the lid to fit an airlock, i did this when i started out and they work fine.

The one below has a grommet in the lid these can be bought for pence on ebay but you really don't need them.

$_3.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Chippy, never thought about sterilising. I'll sack that idea then. Thanks

Ignoring the sterilising issue, could the larger kits not be split across two of the 19l bottles?

Hello Keats, I'm afraid I'm an absolute novice on this. I think I've now decided I'd be more confident buying one of Solomon Grundy type 30 bottle kits and starting everything from new.

Hello Keats, I'm afraid I'm an absolute novice on this. I think I've now decided I'd be more confident buying one of Solomon Grundy type 30 bottle kits and starting everything from new.

Everyone was a novice at some time! Looking at the Solomon Grundy kits, you'll still need something to ferment the wine in. If you don't use the water bottles you can get a 25l fermentation bucket for less than a tenner.

I would buy the Grundy kit and use your 19ltr water bottle, fill to 18ltr but cut your added sugar down by around a fifth.

I am with Keats get a fermenting vessel (23 litre bucket with a hole in the lid for an airlock) as you will be buying one sooner or later, you may as well start out with the right equipment.

I agree with the above re fermenting bucket. I would also go with the Soloman Grundy platinum as a middle of the road kit as it doesn't need any added sugar.
Having tried a whole range of kits my rule of thumb now is not to buy any kit that needs added sugar. My other observation is whites are more forgiving than reds and my minimum level for reds is Beaverdale or California Connoisseur. I made a cheap red once and it tasted like alcoholic ribena...yuk. Some great kits out there though so enjoy

Thanks guys, the kits I've been looking at are on eBay and cost around £130 they apparently contain everything you need to start winemaking. Are they good value? Thanks also for the advice about the kits that don't need added sugar, I'll certainly go with that.

That sounds quite a lot to get started. I just had a quick look in Balihoo and here is a link to their starter kit https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#basic-starter-equipment-kit-for-30-bottles-of-wine-p-121.html
That comes at £42.99 and a Solomon Grundy pinot grigio is £32.
There are lots of great on line shops including creative wine making and many others if you don't have a local homebrew shop. If you are using screwtop wine bottles remember it is not advisable to use corks but you can use these instead and they are re usable.
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#novatw...or-wine-bottles-silver-pack-of-12-p-1112.html
Hope that helps and sorry if i have broken any rules #Chippy-Tea

Thanks, I'll get them checked out. I'll be using my garage so do I need heat pads/ belts ?

#Jacalou When i first started i used a large gorrila bucket with the fermentation vessel inside and an aquarium heater and pump fitted in to the water of the bucket.. I think i still have a spare aquarium heater and pump and if you send me a pm ill post them to you.
I need to check over the weekend I think they are in the loft. There are some posts on here regarding the bucket method.

A basic water bath set up using a thermostatically controlled fish tank heater and a blow off tube instead of a standard airlock.

IMG_3564.jpg

Hi Jacalou, as a fairly new born again brewer my advice would be not to get too hung up about kit, just get started and take it from there. You could even just stick a gallon or two of turbo cider in one of your water bottles and you’ll not only be brewing but also starting to see how everything works.

I started by buying a 30l stackable water container from Amazon, about a fiver ISTR, and it worked so well I bought a second and still use them. I clean them immediately when they are emptied and the handle on the top allows you to give them a good shake.

Plus keep an eye out for some demijohns, always in the charity shops and boot sales, as a gallon of wine is an easy quantity to experiment with.

Parsnip wine is awesome.

Enjoy.....

Thanks PH. I'll have a look at the stackable ones. I keep scouring charity shops but no luck so far. Not in a rush though.

Try your local Freecycle group, Gumtree and Fleebay. Tesco's sell 5l water bottles and with the aid of Youtube video "simple primary fermenter" your away on the cheap.

Ok guys I know I said I wasn't in a rush to start but since I took delivery of my 'Balihoo' starter kit I've been itching to get at it! I was in the 'Range ' this morning buying paint rollers and couldn't help buying a 30 bottle white wine kit for £20 while I was in there. I know they're probably not the best quality but it was a n alternative until I can get to a proper home brew shop. I've already got it on the go using the gorilla bucket idea and heater and pump kindly donated by 110Ben. My question is, can I use our empty ' Barefoot' screw top wine bottles to bottle it? I've also bought some 'grolsch ' style beer bottles, can I use them for wine? Thanks guys.

Back