Wine making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried my first bottle last night, a bit early but couldn't wait! Pleasantly surprised, I'd say it was as good as the supermarket boxed stuff I've bought in the past. Thanks for all the help with my first attempt. Onwards and upwards! Cheers!

Nice one.. I am glad you are pleased enjoy. There are plenty of great reviews on the site for future attempts. clapa

Hi all, what's the benefit of using Novatwist type screw tops as opposed to the screw top that comes with the bottle? Ta.

Ok, kenridge kit up and running. After the mad fermentation bursting through my airlock last time I've tried a blow off tube on this one. Done the sawing off the end of an airlock, and at the other end I've used a plastic water bottle with plasticine around the top. Is that good enough?

Done the sawing off the end of an airlock, and at the other end I've used a plastic water bottle with plasticine around the top. Is that good enough?

That is what i have done using Blu-Tack -

My how to guide - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-a-blow-off-tube.48970/

13899-f01d0cdfa2d92a6233098a00f28d1184.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon all,I'm on to the clearing stage of my Kenridge kit. I've filtered it into another vessel but was 'over careful ' not to disturb the sediment. I've ended up putting the remainder into a glass demijohn sediment and all, the demijohn is 75% full. Do I pour this away or is it retreivable? Thanks as always for any advice.

Just leave it in a fairly cool place, undisturbed, and you'll get another couple of bottles of clear wine in a few days...

Thanks vw, it's been outside for a day now and the top couple of inches looks clear already.

Ok guys. Finally got to a proper home brew shop. Got some advice as well as plenty of **** taking. Talking to the shop owner asking lots of daft questions as a newbie just the way I have on the forum. The difference was the shop owner kept looking over my shoulder at the guy behind me who was obviously a regular and sniggering a lot. When I told him about the homebrew forum an d the advice I'd received he couldn't wait to tell me how wrong I was to use it. Apparently his heat mats are a billion times better than the aquarium heater and builders bucket that have served me well so far. Dead disappointed as I expected the shop to be just like this forum.

If a shop keeper sniggered at me when I was asking him advice I would tell him to get ****** and walk out.

I am with Chippy_Tea on that one. What an arogant baxxxxd. The builders bucket and aquarium heater will keep the temp controlled. Think a heatpad is just a constant heat so not sure how accurate. The main thing is you have succesfully made some wine and as you progress you may want to look at brew fridges and inkbirds and the like...Not all toys are worth buying. I went from a builders bucket set up to brew fridge for ease of use to be honest and reinvested what i saved over the first few months. At least everyone on here who takes time to answer peoples questions do so because they are interested in promoting this great hobby.

Guy sounds like an ar$e!
I manage homebrew shop, and stock several heating devices.
I do, however, always recommend the bucket/aquarium heater method above any of them, as the heat is all encompassing, and much more contollable. (And invariably cheaper!!!)

Latest posts

Back