Wine not clearing???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu monkey

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Wilko Wine kits (black cherry and Cab Sauvignon) on a bit of a spur of the moment decision before Christmas and immediately started them off. They fermented at 20 degrees. I racked them into the secondary about a week and a half before Christmas. They've not cleared, I've moved them to a cooler place about 10 degrees and still they look a bit ''milky'
What can I do? Are they ruined? Should I just bottle them?
Thank you in advance.
Glen

I have not made any wine kits yet but have made wine from Supermarket fruit juice. Generally, I see the wine clearing with time but if I want to get it moving I use Kwik Clear.

You could also use Bentonite - I saw some on eBay last week so I bought a couple of them so will try that later in the week after I have degassed the wine. I think this is worth you checking out as it seems a good price at just £6.48 + free postage for 800g. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=131409994707

I've moved them to a cooler place about 10 degrees and still they look a bit ''milky'

I have made a couple of their kits and had no clearing issues.

Was there a sachet of finings in the kit?

How long did you degas the wine and how before adding the finings (assuming the answer to the above question was yes)

Yes there was finings which I added, degassed for a day or so, gently swirling the demijohn as per instruction booklet. I also drained it off the yeast into a secondary.
I will look into the Bentonite, could it be just a waiting game??

Gently swirling will not get rid of enough CO2 all the kits i have made have advised vigorously stirring for a few minutes or for demijohns putting a clean hand over the neck and shaking them occasionally releasing the CO2 by removing your hand, CO2 traps the tiny particles and it will take quite a while for it to settle if you do not get the CO2 out.

If you are going to make wine regularly and have a drill make a degassing wand, have a look at this - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/degassing-wine-the-quick-and-easy-way.48971/

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I've got a couple of beaverdale kits to do next so I'll look into it.
I'll give it until the weekend then bottle it on Sunday?

There is no problem drinking cloudy wine we used to do this when i first started out as my siphoning technique was a bit **** if it smells and tastes fine and you are not bothered about it looking cloudy get stuck in. :thumba:

Chippy obviously knows more than me on this but I would suggest check it smells and tastes OK (not perfect as its young but not off) before you spend the time bottling that could be ruined. Also 1 of the 1st things I ever brewed was wilko cab sav I found it very harsh until it was 3 months old but very good after that (when I only had 2 bottles left).

There is no problem drinking cloudy wine we used to do this when i first started out as my siphoning technique was a bit **** if it smells and tastes fine and you are not bothered about it looking cloudy get stuck in. :thumba:

wink...

Ok so a quick update, I bottled these earlier and to be honest they've not come out too bad at all. My wife liked them and she's a bit picky about wine.
There is a little carbonation to be honest but I now know more about degassing wine and it won't happen again!
Thank you for your replies much appreciated.
Glen

I've made a couple if kits in the past which didn't clear well, one of them being the black cherry.
I reckon it's down to the finings as I did nothing different to before.
I've also found the Wilko two part finings a bit hit and miss sometimes too. The missus still sups my wine though even if a little murky.

WineBuddy do decent kits and are at the affordable end of kit wines, they have the best finings I have used (3 part) and always clear the wine in 24 hours give one of their kits a try.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I've got a couple of beaverdale kits on the go now that I bought a few weeks back. I ordered a better brew and Solomon Grundy fruit wine kit a couple of days ago, hope they're ok.
But I'll put the winebuddy next on the list!
Cheers

Hi

I have made a few SG kits and they have worked out, bottled a kit last night. They usually take 3 days to clear. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

I made a SG Cab Sav which came out very nice and totally clear. Aged for 12 months before drinking. Still got 2 bottles which are now 21 months old.
I'm starting to degas 2 wilko kits today. A Sav Blanc and a Cab Sav. Wil let you know how they clear. 😎🥂🍷

Latest posts

Back