Wine Prices to increase as much as 30%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...bad-weather-brings-worst-harvest-for-50-years

"Wine prices to rise as bad weather brings worst harvest for 50 years

It’s the kind of bad news best served with a stiff drink: the price of standard supermarket wines such as prosecco and pinot grigio could rise by up to 30% this year as the impact of 2017’s disastrous harvest is felt on the high street.

Global wine production slumped to its lowest level in more than 50 years in 2017 after vines in the world’s top three producers – France, Spain and Italy – were ravaged by both freakishly hot and cold weather."

Good news for the forum though as we'll get loads of new members who dont want to pay the increase in prices :thumb1:

I guess the price of grape juice will soon be going up :headbang:

What, the white grape juice that we haven't been able to get from Asda for years? Not bothered about the stuff they make kits from... they're overpriced to start with and ain't worth it. Oh well, apple and elderflower it'll have to remain.

If it goes up 30% it'll only add 45 pence to a bottle of red grape juice so roughly 8 pence to a bottle of supermarket juice wine, I think we will cope. :nod:

If it goes up 30% it'll only add 45 pence to a bottle of red grape juice so roughly 8 pence to a bottle of supermarket juice wine, I think we will cope. :nod:

True... but when are we gonna see the reappearance of white supermarket juice? I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that it's probably gone for good. It's bloody outrageous, considering that they've got copious amounts of junk like beetroot juice and other horrible concoctions that nobody actually wants except deluded health freak types who have read one too many 'superfood' articles in the lifestyle supplements of Sunday tabloids.

Guess I picked the right time to get into home-brewing!
Looking around though, we've had quite a few years of poor grape harvests. Are country wines the way forward?

Are country wines the way forward?

I would say yeas if you have the time to pick it space to age it and the patience to wait for it, i have non of these so Red Grape Juice will do me fine and you can get it almost everywhere.

@Gunge - when WGJ became scarce i sent an email to both Tesco and ASDA (where i bought most of mine from) i asked them if they were going to stock it in the future and they said no as there wasn't the demand for it, i wonder what customers uses Red Grape Juice for as they have never had a shortage in either store.

Chippy, they're pulling a flanker though gawd knows why. Oh well. By using 12 litres apple juice and 25g dried elderflowers and a few bags of sugar, I can turn around five gallons of wine superior to the WGJ or kits. Well the missus thinks so anyway. That'll do.

If I could find WGJ I would give it a try for old times sake but we are happy with our RGJ variants and are trying an new apple and blackcurrant juice with RGJ which Mrs Tea found on one of her shopping sprees.

The Mrs likes her Marlborough sauvignon blanc. She doesn't tend to drink owt else other than magners the odd time. I've never made a wine but wouldn't mind trying it. More for her than me, it'll save us forking out 7-9 quid a bottle, which is the part I like.
Can any winemakers recommend a recipe they believe may be hit with her please?

We like save blanc but non of the stuff we make has ever tasted like it, for the sake of a couple of pounds why not try the first wine in this thread with red grape juice and apple juice, have a look at post 1 in the thread and the recipe at the bottom of post one, don't make the orange wine in the video it may put her off for life but do use the video for instruction as we make them all the same!e way.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Wilko do a white grape concentrate and it has been discussed a few times on the forum, it never became popular probably because of the £3 price tag as you have to use all of it in one DJ - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/wilko-white-grape-juice-concentrate.64839/

Wilko White Grape Concentrate 220g
£3.00
This Italian white grape concentrate is an ideal addition to your country wine recipe to add extra body and roundness and generally improve the final flavour and finish. Perfect for lighter wine styles such as elderflower.

0067533_l.jpg

Due to a severe late frost last spring, my grape harvest was down 75% and other UK vineyards reported similar results. However, the apple, elderflower and berry crop was excellent and so was the wine, which was some compensation.

Back