Wine question re supermarket juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramley4600

Reaction score
Hi

Newbie here, even at the tender age of 66.
I started some supermarket juice wine whilst waiting for a wine kit to arrive.
Been through lots of videos and web pages so apologies if this has already been posted here.
Used this recipe and went through the steps as instructed

1 litre Red grape juice

1.5 litre Apple Juice

800g Sugar.

1 mug of very strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp citric acid

After a night of bubbling away (the wine not me) I saw this which I have not noticed an any of the videos,

Looks like a second ring of gunk has formed near the top - what have I done wrong or is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 90
I can only guess that the demijohn wasn't really spotlessly clean. But I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the reply. It was cleaned very well, or so I thought with plenty of soap and water, then sterilised with Chemsan at the required dosage. I have given it a good shake and it seems to have settled down now with some vigorous bubbling.
Thanks again.

That looks normal to me give it a gentle swirl to mix it in, have a look at the orange wine in video two they are a mess - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

Looks pretty normal to me, supermarket juices often throw a load of pulpy gunk out that can hang around anywhere; in the top of the wine, at the bottom, in the middle, through the airlock and all over the other halfs best handbag, etc etc.

It will settle down in the end and you can rack the wine off it into another demijohn and top up with boiled and cooled water.

Bramley4600,

I have just bottle my first Orange/Pineapple as below.
1 litre Orange, Lidl Naturis
1 litre Pineapple, Tesco
Added the sugar content of both and it gave 215 grammes so added 485 g sugar as syrup to take to 600g. SG read 1.070
Pectolase, wilko yeast and nutrient, tsp each in Fv.

In bin for 5 days then racked into dj. sg read.0. 995. I added 200ml apple juice, Lidl Naturis = 20g sugar per 200 ml as it tasted as though it needed a lift.
Bubbled away for another 3 days and then read 0.995 as previous. abv from calculator 9.71% alcohol.
Crushed a Campden tab, gave it a good shake and put the airlock back on.

I have put this in bottles today and it tastes decent, dry and crisp.
I left the water content down short in the brew and have 5 bottles.

It cleared pretty well which I believe is down to adding the Pectolase at the start.
I have racked off a red as well today into another dj with the same issue as your picture and have the same on another which is on the go.

happy brewing.

Will do Chippy. It hadn't moved in the airlock as far as I can tell but I was wondering after I bottled it whether I should have added stabiliser. They have had a good shake twice today and will do the same later on.
Cheers

Back