Wine still smells acidic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissol

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive done a solomon grundy rose 6 bottle kit, ive moved on to the clearing stage but i'm worried its ruined as it still smells very acidic, or is it a case be patient of waiting for it to clear and degas?
i did panic and added the stabilizer after id moved into a second demijohn i hope this hasnt ruined it asad.

Sounds like shall be okay, most of the kits I do seem acidic when first made. Leave it to age 4 weeks or so and then check.

time seems to be the key im learning, just with it being a 7day kit i expected it to different, but im happy to wait just wondering if i was on the right track athumb..

To be fair I haven’t done the 7 day kits. But all the other kits get better when left for at least 4 weeks.

I have made many Solomon Grundy kits,But never in 7 days.!!
They are quick to make but I think 7 days is a bit misleading.

Give it a bit of time to age.

I have made many Solomon Grundy kits,But never in 7 days.!!
They are quick to make but I think 7 days is a bit misleading.

Give it a bit of time to age.
Yeah I figured that out very quickly, how long have you left for? I'm at 2 weeks. Its ok but hoping it will improve if I leave longer was going to bottle at weekend.

Bottle it and leave for a month I would say. Might be okay before then, but definitely leave it in bottle for a few weeks at the min.

Bottle it and leave for a month I would say. Might be okay before then, but definitely leave it in bottle for a few weeks at the min.
In a cupboard, it doesn’t have to be somewhere dark, as long as not in direct sunlight, like next to the window.
I put mine inside a big plastic box, like the ones you get from IKEA. Just so they aren’t easily knocked over. I have started just putting them into 5litre demijohns and keep 5 bottles. When they are done I fill back up with the demijohns until it’s done. Bottling 20 or so litres is time consuming and takes up space. A couple of demijohns and a some bottles in the cupboard does me. The main thing is get it into bottles (or demijohns) up to the neck. Then leave it! After a few weeks you shall be happy and drunk.

Yeah I think so, I'm guessing its normal until its cleared ?
I mostly brew beer but the last thing you'd want to do is give the FV a sniff - it's horrible, you think you're going to smell beer but it's like someone's sprayed acid up your nose.

Back