wine storage ideas/suggestions,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
I am soon going to have a 23l WOW and a 23l kit to store...

I am thinking 2 x 20l vinotainers and 2 x 5l vinotainers...

fill the 5l, put the rest in a 20l and leave in the garage.. put the 5l in the fridge..

sound ok? what does everyone else do? or maybe some 5l water bottles? (the 20l vinotainer is £14.99!

more i think about it.. 4 x 5l water bottles per 23l brew.. 1 x vinotainer for the fridge (rose only)

You want to exclude any air from it as you serve it otherwise it will oxidise and start to taste funny / go off.

I'm thinking about using bag in a box type solutions when I start making wine in greater volume. Just like your supermarket wine box but reusable a number of times. There was a thread recently:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70037

From what I've found eBay seems cheapest unless you're buying in bulk.

Supermarket fizzy water is 18p for 2 litres. Drink the water and re-use the bottles - and they fit better in he fridge.

I've got the 5l water bottles and ordered some 5l "bag in box" off the bay, work out less than £3 each and re-usable. Water bottle will be decanted into "bag in box" then "bag in box" placed in fridge so air contact with product will be minimal

I used a 20l Polypin and 5l bag in a box for my first 23l Cellar 7 kit and it worked out great. Polypins are a bit cumbersome and its a bit tricky as you fill the inside container while it is still in the box (as you don't want to be carting 20l of wine about in a plastic bag) so you cant see when it is getting full. The way I found round this was to fill the 5l one first then I was only left with like 17l of wine which would not come anywhere near filling the Polypin.

I store entirely in bag in a box these days, usually 5L occasionally 10L as they get heavy.
One word of caution on garage storage, temperatures can vary enormously and that can impact on the quality of the wine.
I had a Borolo stored in the garage last summer and it went downhill towards the end which i suspect was due to high temperature.

Of course its not a problem could be an incentive to drink it quicker :whistle:

never considered garage getting hot.. which of course it can do. I am fermenting in there at the moment and using aquarium heaters so the notion of it getting too hot hasn't come to me.

The only place I can think that is dark and stays cool is my under stairs cupboard.. I may need to make some space in readiness.

I like the water bottles as they are dirt cheap and sturdy. Well I like them in theory, yet to put them into practice.

I used the water bottles for fermenting and storage for a while. Found finnings got stuck on the water bottle ledges then moved during racking. It didnt happen all the time but was annoying when it did.

The water bottles are good for storage as long as you can be sure the lid is air tight. Same is true of 5L food grade jerry cans. Eventually the lids wear and are not completely air tight. Used vaseline to seal them for a while but eventually went back to bag in a box as i knew they were airtight until empty.

Ok - I am happy to learn from your experience.. bag in box only �£3.. how many times do you get to reuse the bag in box in your experience?

ah.. just read your post again.. I'm fermenting in a bucket and clearing in a pet carboy. Wine would only go into water bottle once cleared.

Back