Wine updates!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Thought I’d do a small wine update for anyone that’s interested.

Here is a pic of everything I’ve bottled so far:-
Sweet Red
Rhubarb & Raspberry
Ginger Mead
Kiwi Wine
Pear Wine

The two bottles of the right are for my DIL - she is having one of each flavour to test for me 😊

(there is also a bottle of dessert wine from last November that I’m trying to save for a year lol) 😂

939A097C-5302-4B90-854F-E1EBB93414B2.jpeg

And then everything I have under the stairs clearing:-
Blackforest wine
Rosemary Mead
Apricot Wine
Banana Wine
Peach and Scotch Bonnet Mead

EEA01C81-B6A5-45C3-A12B-3B1BD41C382A.jpeg

Not going badly so far! 👏

TFIF!!!

Good for you Lisa you cant have too many strings to your bow,

When my late Father passed away I had about 200 gallons of wine to dispose of.
Some of it was undrinkable due to the airlocks drying out,But i do miss the demijohns
And my dad.

Good for you Lisa you cant have too many strings to your bow,

When my late Father passed away I had about 200 gallons of wine to dispose of.
Some of it was undrinkable due to the airlocks drying out,But i do miss the demijohns
And my dad.

Oh no that’s really sad! Your dad sounds like he was a fantastic man though, bless him. 😊

Ha ha I’m a bit obsessed! I want to try and age them and see how nice they become. Honestly though after 6 weeks they’re good enough for me. At some point I’ll have to slow down though or we’ll need to build an extra garage 😂🙈

It's definitely worth ageing wines, especially the hedgerow ones. You're going about it the right way; making so much you'll forget what you've got.

One of the old books I have has a recipe for a hedgerow red which it says should be kept, "the sort of wine to be made when a child is born and drunk on its eighteenth birthday". I did that (had to give it to a mate for safekeeping) and it was gorgeous. Of course, the eighteen-year-old refused to even taste it but my wine snob mate was suitably impressed. My finest hour as a winemaker.

It's definitely worth ageing wines, especially the hedgerow ones. You're going about it the right way; making so much you'll forget what you've got.

One of the old books I have has a recipe for a hedgerow red which it says should be kept, "the sort of wine to be made when a child is born and drunk on its eighteenth birthday". I did that (had to give it to a mate for safekeeping) and it was gorgeous. Of course, the eighteen-year-old refused to even taste it but my wine snob mate was suitably impressed. My finest hour as a winemaker.

Sounds ideal - wish I had the willpower for that ha ha!
What a nice sentiment as well, that’s lovely ☺️

Last edited:
My dad did the same,Put a bottle down when i was born to be opened on my 21st,However traditions changed and it was opened on my 18th instead.
As i recall it was lovely

Hi guys!

Thought I’d do a small wine update for anyone that’s interested.

Here is a pic of everything I’ve bottled so far:-
Sweet Red
Rhubarb & Raspberry
Ginger Mead
Kiwi Wine
Pear Wine

The two bottles of the right are for my DIL - she is having one of each flavour to test for me 😊

(there is also a bottle of dessert wine from last November that I’m trying to save for a year lol) 😂

View attachment 41735

And then everything I have under the stairs clearing:-
Blackforest wine
Rosemary Mead
Apricot Wine
Banana Wine
Peach and Scotch Bonnet Mead

View attachment 41733

Not going badly so far! 👏

TFIF!!!

Really nice to see all these bottles and demi’s. I don’t make wine but I do recognise passion! 😂

You should give it a go Hazelwood. athumb..

A glass of wine or for that matter a nice beer is a real icebreaker once we get rid of that dratted virus that is.

I do enjoy a glass of wine but my brewing passion is for beer and I do brew an awful lot of that! I’m really missing all the friends, family, neighbours coming round for beers and BBQ - hopefully not long now before we can take a few steps back to life.

That lot looks great but one in particular really stuck out- rosemary mead? How does that taste (apart from rosemary obviously! 😜) is it subtle or a much stronger imparted flavour?

Well done anyway, and look forward to the BBQ invitation!👍

Latest posts

Back