Winebuddy Merloy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in January, I was given a Winebuddy Merlot 6 bottle kit. I followed the instructions to the letter (I’ve got to stop doing that, and find my own path), but nevertheless, it looked ok, and came out at 11.6%, which I suppose was good enough, given the kit cost me nothing except the brewing sugar. I tried it about two months after bottling, and my other said she though it was more like a rose’ than a Merlot, so I‘ve left until tonight when I decided to open the second bottle this evening ( yes I know its a school night, but I’m retired (-: and she was out)

it now tastes like a bit more like a merlot, and I think that the further six months ’resting on the cork’ has improved it, but I’m not sure it’ll get any better than that. However, I’ll leave it another 5 or 6 months before I try the next bottle and see how that fares. I’ve got nothing to lose.

The Winebuddy kits are at the cheaper end of the wine kit range, we have made the Sav Blanc many times as we liked it but we knew it was never going to mimic an expensive bottle and we were right, i the old saying you get what you pay for fits well here ;)

I couldn’t agree more. I tend to do more beer than wine, and usually opt for the more premium kits, but as it was given to me, I thought I’d give it a go. I’m going to try one of the more expensive kits next time. I’ve been looking at the 30 bottle kits from Winexpert, but thats one of next years projects.

The Winebuddy kits are at the cheaper end of the wine kit range, we have made the Sav Blanc many times as we liked it but we knew it was never going to mimic an expensive bottle and we were right, i the old saying you get what you pay for fits well here ;)

As a matter of interest, since I've never made wine from a kit, how much does it work out at per bottle for a Winebuddy or for a more expensive kit?
Just looking at this one at random Vieux Chateau du Roi France 10L Wine Expert Reserve Kit - Get Er Brewed
and it works out around £6.50 a bottle- I don't know whether you need to add sugar, which would make it a bit more. Does this kit make a wine that is significantly better than a £7 bottle from Sainsbury, for example?

Last edited:
As a matter of interest, since I've never made wine from a kit, how much does it work out at per bottle for a Winebuddy or for a more expensive kit?

The make your own kits from the Range store we make regularly and which in my view are better than all the cheap kits we have made are £20 so £23 with sugar.
We get 28 bottles from the 30 bottle kit so just over 82 pence per bottle.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ll take a look at them.

All wine, beer & cider kits -

https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-dining/drinks/home-brew/#sort=relevance&page=1&lpp=24
mmm.jpg

Winebuddy Merlot was my first attempt at brewing. I would totally agree, it's more of a dark Rose than a Merlot. However for a wine that I made in 10 days at a cost of approx £1 a bottle, I thought it was pretty good.

I've been making Supermarket Juice Wine, Mead and recently started on Country Wines, but
I bought another Winebuddy to keep stocks up while I'm waiting 😊

Latest posts

Back