Winexpert Chilean Malbec

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddsy

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all buoyed on with my success with the Winexpert Pinot Grigeo white Ive taken the plunge with the Malbec

179657379_10157587576536152_7508004096963847307_n.jpg

Ive made a Beaverdale Merlot which was nice but a little on the thin side. Im hoping this will be as good as their white.

I decided to give this one a go in my fermzilla. Im hoping this isnt going to be a stupid idea and will allow the gunk to collect more efficiently and make racking off better.

179840647_10157587754961152_879917334527502675_n.jpg

buddsy

How did you get on with their Pinot Gringo ? Would you recommend?

The best wine Ive done yet. We have the award winning Winbirri Vineyard a few miles from my home and Ive bought a couple of cases over the last few years for my old man. Hes always been slightly sniffy about homebrew but he had a bottle of my Pinot Grigeo last week and was blown away.

Take your time and let it do its thing and Im sure you will have a great wine.

buddsy

Hi all buoyed on with my success with the Winexpert Pinot Grigeo white Ive taken the plunge with the Malbec

View attachment 46155

Ive made a Beaverdale Merlot which was nice but a little on the thin side. Im hoping this will be as good as their white.

I decided to give this one a go in my fermzilla. Im hoping this isnt going to be a stupid idea and will allow the gunk to collect more efficiently and make racking off better.

View attachment 46156

buddsy
Just bought this kit. My first one after my first (a Wilkos). How is it ? Are you leaving it to age ?

View attachment 46155

View attachment 46156

buddsy
They are very good kits. Why go to all that extra trouble though? I just use a bog-standard Fv and transfer to a 5 gall carboy. Never ever had a millisecond of trouble doing it like that.

The best wine Ive done yet. We have the award winning Winbirri Vineyard a few miles from my home and Ive bought a couple of cases over the last few years for my old man. Hes always been slightly sniffy about homebrew but he had a bottle of my Pinot Grigeo last week and was blown away.

Take your time and let it do its thing and Im sure you will have a great wine.

buddsy
WE and even Beaverdale compare very well - even better in the main - with commercial wines unless you spend a small fortune on a really good French estate-bottled wine which wasn't bottled last week.

Just bought this kit. My first one after my first (a Wilkos). How is it ? Are you leaving it to age ?
I use Beaverdale and bog-standard WE kits. I make them up well in advance so we rarely have to drink any that are less than 6 months matured in the cellar; usually longer.

thank you mate - I’m going to give it a try. What fermentation temp does it need?
20C is optimum. A with most yeasts those with wine kits risk perishing at high temps but will go to sleep ( and can be warmed up) if too cold. Fortunately our pantry maintains a constant 20C most of the year round. My beers go there too! Sometime one can hardly move in there; there may be 25 galls of beer and 5 of wine in there...and unlike 'Dame' Sally, we never think about what she does when we look at it. LOL!

Great! I'm thinking of doing some white, and have been looking at the WinExpert kits because of the high juice content.
How did you get on with their Pinot Gringo ? Would you recommend?
I can recommend the Beaverdale chardonnay for an excellent white wine. Ciommercial whites - unless they are really good - do not agree with me but this one is v good.

Does the Fermzilla have a dump valve and does the kit have a bag of grape skins and/or wood chips? If so, be very careful. We made a very similar kit containing both in a Grainfather conical fermenter and wood chips and a grape skin which escaped from the bag they were in while stirring blocked the sample and dump valves causing much loss of wine and swearing.

Things we learned: use a plastic spoon while stirring the grape bag and soak the chips in some of the grape juice so they swell and put in a very fine muslin bag before adding to the fermenter.

I’ve made the Wine Expert Classic Chilean Malbec, Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre, and the Sangiovese. They are all easy to make, and are drinkable, but they all have a similar background taste that the better half describes as “home brew twang”.

I think that all of the kits have used the same yeast, which is Lalvin EC-1118 that is in the Chilean Merlot kit that I currently have, but not yet started.

If it is the yeast that causes the background taste, then can someone recommend an alternative one.

Does the Fermzilla have a dump valve and does the kit have a bag of grape skins and/or wood chips?

No dump valve but did have oak chips.

I think the conical bottom allowed me to syphon off more clear wine leaving the crud behind in a more efficiant way than the wide bases of the usual plastic FV. But to be honest there is not alot in it apart from being able to see a bit clearer.

buddsy

Latest posts

Back