Winter ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
Hi all as anybody brewed a Wilco winter spiced ale? I’ve just bought one it’s my last kit beer before I progress to a mash tun so I was wondering what to expect from the kit.
Any option’s much appreciated
Cheers

No reviews on this site.
Since its nearly a premium kit I would brew it in the near future it as it comes, or perhaps slightly shorter if you want something a bit stronger. Adding extra hops will probably get killed by the spices so I wouldn't bother. Then leave it until December to mellow out. I wouldn't expect too much from it, but if it turns out good you have an additional Xmas present. athumb..

Cheers Terrym
I’ve just got it started so should be good for the festive season!
It’s all malt so there saying 4.8 abv lets see!
Then a new chapter in my learning curve the mash tun exited!!

Cheers Terrym
I’ve just got it started so should be good for the festive season!
It’s all malt so there saying 4.8 abv lets see!
Then a new chapter in my learning curve the mash tun exited!!
Yes interested to see how it turned out also, as I have it on the go at the moment. I added an extra 500g DME and has a starting ABV of 1.061

I started mine last night, brewing as is, og looked to be 1055/7 but so much froth couldnt quite see, could be slightly less, bubbling away nicely now.athumb..

I picked one up from wilko in the recent sale. I'm going to make it up without the spice flavouring

I have an underwhelming kit brew - Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge. I think I'll pimp this up with some Riddles 'Flaming Hot' ginger essence and some allspice. I'll transfer some beer from pressure barrel to bottle and then pimp.
I think the Nelsons Revenge is a great kit as it is, but is far better when about 6 months old, if you can wait that long!

I think the Nelsons Revenge is a great kit as it is, but is far better when about 6 months old, if you can wait that long!
I've enjoyed all the Woodforde's kits but my tastes are developing and I find them too malty. But all my beers get drunk within a few weeks. Maybe I should bottle some as is and see if they round out. I hate almost all commercially bottled beers as too gassy. But if I transfer from the pressure barrel and don't reprime I should avoid that. My method is to well carbonate in the barrel and let the foam overflow the bottles so the headspace is filled with CO2 bubbles and no air.

Mine's only 4 days in, bubbling nicely, I'll empty the spice satchet in later, good that yours turned out well @parpot, Im hoping for 14 days in fv though..was it slow to reach fg as you had 26 days?

Yes it was slow but possibly because it was pimped up a bit (500g DME), also I was away towards the end of the fermentation so can not be totally sure when it finished, I would guess between day 20 and day 23

Mine is still chugging away, , must admit the aroma was fantastic when I dropped the spices in.

While I can manage a glass of some of the Belgians that have a bit of coriander and orange peel in them, I can't get on with spiced beer and so called Christmas beers. It seems to make the bitterness turn astringent. On the other hand, a proper ginger beer with enough ginger to give it a bite is certainly a treat.
And then there's mulled wine and mulled ale, isn't that supposed to be ordinary wine or beer warmed up and the spices added just before drinking?

Latest posts

Back