Winter Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
With the wonderful thought of winter approaching, I was wondering about what brews I can get away with in lower temperatures. So my question/discussion is... What beers will do better in the cooler conditions whilst in fermentation?

Carry on as normal, but bring your FV into the living room or kitchen, wherever it's warm. If you've got space, that is. Consider making smaller batches that you can accommodate more easily and don't use stinky lager yeasts. I'd stick with US-05 as a good, general purpose ale yeast that's more forgiving of temperature fluctuations than some.
Unless you want to make lager, of course.
Edit: I see messages crossed in the post. So not lager, then.

Carry on as normal, but bring your FV into the living room or kitchen, wherever it's warm. If you've got space, that is. Consider making smaller batches that you can accommodate more easily and don't use stinky lager yeasts. I'd stick with US-05 as a good, general purpose ale yeast that's more forgiving of temperature fluctuations than some.
Unless you want to make lager, of course.
Edit: I see messages crossed in the post. So not lager, then.
The FV will probably remain in the airing cupboard where throughout Summer, it was a constant 21c. However, even in the Winter, I don't like the heating being on and I've not brewed in the Winter months before, so not sure what temperature the cupboard will drop too.

So it's more about keeping the Yeast happy than the beer itself? And Lager Yeasts do better than others in cooler temperatures?
In general, yes they do, but they usually take longer and they don't give the same ester profile as beers with yeasts fermented at higher temperatures. In truth, I think that's more important in bitters and ales of whatever strength, and perhaps not so important with darker beers where you want to taste the "roast". Trouble with lager yeast is that most will attenuate the wort more fully than you might like, given the chance. It's worth experimenting with different yeast, different mash temperatures and crystal / caramalt additions.
On the other hand, does your airing cupboard contain your hot-water tank or is your water heated on demand? If you've got a tank in there it's going to be toasty all year round. US-05 will ferment quite happily at 15C.

If you get a heat pad and an inkbird or similar you can just continue brewing whatever styles you like?

The main hassle IME is keeping the FV cool in summer months, as an ambient temperature of 21 or more can easily mean the FV gets above the ideal upper limit for many yeasts so (given that I don't yet have a fermentation fridge) the arrival of cooler weather is a relief for me! acheers.

I'm planning to brew some more IPAs soon, which I avoided over the summer in fear of them getting too hot (stuck to mostly ale and saison styles instead).

In general, yes they do, but they usually take longer and they don't give the same ester profile as beers with yeasts fermented at higher temperatures. In truth, I think that's more important in bitters and ales of whatever strength, and perhaps not so important with darker beers where you want to taste the "roast". Trouble with lager yeast is that most will attenuate the wort more fully than you might like, given the chance. It's worth experimenting with different yeast, different mash temperatures and crystal / caramalt additions.
On the other hand, does your airing cupboard contain your hot-water tank or is your water heated on demand? If you've got a tank in there it's going to be toasty all year round. US-05 will ferment quite happily at 15C.
Hot water on demand, no water tank in there I'm afraid. The only upside the cupboard has is that it has no external walls. I'll check out US-05, thanks.

If you get a heat pad and an inkbird or similar you can just continue brewing whatever styles you like?

The main hassle IME is keeping the FV cool in summer months, as an ambient temperature of 21 or more can easily mean the FV gets above the ideal upper limit for many yeasts so (given that I don't yet have a fermentation fridge) the arrival of cooler weather is a relief for me! acheers.

I'm planning to brew some more IPAs soon, which I avoided over the summer in fear of them getting too hot (stuck to mostly ale and saison styles instead).
I'm buying a new FV next week and I'm a bit skeptical of buying a heat belt for it due to what other people have said (Can't use a heat pad as its conical). With the cupboard having no external walls, I'm pretty sure it won't drop very much in temperature anyway, but thought I'd start asking the questions now!

Have you space for a fermenting fridge?

Controller with a tube heater and you can make anything you want when with ambient well below freezing.

Have you space for a fermenting fridge?

Controller with a tube heater and you can make anything you want when with ambient well below freezing.
If I cleared out the shed and ran an extension lead to it, I could probably fit one in there.

I'm buying a new FV next week and I'm a bit skeptical of buying a heat belt for it due to what other people have said (Can't use a heat pad as its conical). With the cupboard having no external walls, I'm pretty sure it won't drop very much in temperature anyway, but thought I'd start asking the questions now!

Ah I see, I'd assumed a bucket or similar - I guess if it does get too cold you could rig up a small heater of some sort in the cupboard?

Ferment with Wyeast 1728. Wyeast claim it's good down to 12C. I've used it and it makes really great, clean ales. At the lower end of the temperature scale I'd expect it to be even cleaner if that's possible. It's a liquid yeast though so you'd need to read up how to prepare them properly.

Last year i fermented in the spare bedroom, trying to control the temperature with the central heating / radiator. To be fair, it didn't go too badly but was a bit of a pain carrying 20+ litres up and down stairs blah blah blah.
Earlier this year I went all out and have set up a brew fridge with temperature control etc in the garage so I can brew all year round during cold and hot spells.
Temp control is by the way of the Inkbird wifi unit (which is a very good piece of kit I must say) that my fridge and 6w heater plug into.
Have used it for the last 2 brews now and it seems a very good way of brewing without worrying about your fermentation being too warm or too cold...
Forgot to add with the inkbird wifi controller paired with your phone you can monitor and control the temperature while you are on the move also.

Ah I see, I'd assumed a bucket or similar - I guess if it does get too cold you could rig up a small heater of some sort in the cupboard?
Possibly. I may just buy the jacket that's optional for the Conical FV and hope for the best. But by the sounds of it, there's a few yeasts out there that should do the job.

Last year i fermented in the spare bedroom, trying to control the temperature with the central heating / radiator. To be fair, it didn't go too badly but was a bit of a pain carrying 20+ litres up and down stairs blah blah blah.
Earlier this year I went all out and have set up a brew fridge with temperature control etc in the garage so I can brew all year round during cold and hot spells.
Temp control is by the way of the Inkbird wifi unit (which is a very good piece of kit I must say) that my fridge and 6w heater plug into.
Have used it for the last 2 brews now and it seems a very good way of brewing without worrying about your fermentation being too warm or too cold...
These fridges with temperature control that people mention a lot... Are they ones that you need to rig up yourself? Or can you buy them?

Back