WLP 066 London Fog yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I currently have an English style IPA on using London fog yeast. I was planning a hazy IPA next. What other beer styles have people brewed using this yeast.
I see mixed reviews on line with regards to its attenuation, it states 65-70% on the yeast spec sheet. Some people are reporting 85% attenuation. Could this yeast be used for darker beers.

Any input with be great........

I've not used this particular yeast, so feel free to discount what I'm about to say! I personally wouldn't use a low flocculating strain in a darker beer. A lot of that is down to personal preference though, as I feel there's a big risk of it ending up looking muddy rather than hazy.

I haven't used wlp066 but I've used WHC Brexit a few times now which is supposedly very similar, and I've found it seems to mute malt flavours a little. Even in a Munich based bitter the malt flavours are rather lacking. Maybe something to bear in mind.

I haven't used wlp066 but I've used WHC Brexit a few times now which is supposedly very similar, and I've found it seems to mute malt flavours a little. Even in a Munich based bitter the malt flavours are rather lacking. Maybe something to bear in mind.
I seen your comments about that on your thread. It will be interesting to see how my English IPA works out. I maybe used too much crystal malt. Hopefully it won't be too sweet. I checked the gravity yesterday it's down at 1.018 after 7 days. Hopefully it will drop to 1.012. I originally bought the yeast for a NEIPA but wanted to try it on different styles. It had a real fruit smell when the starter was going

Back