Wlp007 Attenuation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Attenuation wlp 007

What attenuation are people getting with this yeast? I used it a couple of months ago in a 5% smash and got 80 per cent which is what I was expecting.

I then used it a agin in a 6% english IPA, and was hoping 80 % would dry out and combat the sweetness of 5kg of Maris otter, but it went from 1061, to 1015, which is about 74%. It’s in the sated range but I was hoping for higher. It’s left the beer too sweet. So did fermentation stall or is that about right and I’ll just to mash a bit lower next time or dry out with sugar?

What temperature did you mash and sparge at each time? Do you know what your pH was? How long did you ferment each batch for and what temperature?

Lots of variables.

The smash I mashed at 69c and got 80% attenuation. The ipa I mashed at 65%. But only got 74 which surprised me.

Fermented both at 18.5 for two weeks before Kegging, leaving a week at room temps ( circa 21c)
mash ph both in around 5.3 ish.

Only thing I can think of is that your grain bed temperature is uneven and the smash, while reading 69, was actually covering the lower temperatures suitable for beta amylase as well. Whereas the the IPA with similar cold spots may have been way low on temperature in places and not converted fully as parts were too low for alpha amylase.

Did you recirculate or stir the mash? If not, then this may be possible.

BM, all in one system, pump circulates but there are temp drifts. The grain in the malt pipe differed g to the water outside it where the temp probe is. Only an issue after mashing in for up 10 mins before stabilising.

Back