WLP023 - How long before pitching more yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, all!

24 hours after pitching my WLP023 Burton yeast, there's no sign of anything happening. Flat as a pancake on the surface of the brew. Pitched at 18C, currently 19C. How long do you think I should wait before lobbing in the dry yeast backup?

Ta,
J.

Merry Christmas, all!

24 hours after pitching my WLP023 Burton yeast, there's no sign of anything happening. Flat as a pancake on the surface of the brew. Pitched at 18C, currently 19C. How long do you think I should wait before lobbing in the dry yeast backup?

Ta,
J.
Can you let us know the age of the yeast, batch size and if you made a starter? 🙂🍺

8C98361B-AD59-4CB9-9DDF-A1C2773B0C0E.png

851A6045-DE89-4450-9DC7-75B296EDE328.png

Last edited:
Definitely need a starter with a yeast that old.
I've noted since the pandemic that liquid yeast have been shipped out to us faster than before probably due to demand so I suspect (and hope) that May 21 = expiry May 2021.

To the OP yes you've underpitched and liquid yeast should always have a starter but give it 72 hours before thinking about pitching new yeast.

There are a lot of brewers I have seen on homebrew talk don't make a starter, just better to be on the safe side and make one.
Could also be a difference in temperature between the wort and the yeast, can take 36 hours for yeast to acclimatise.

Wish I'd kept the packet, it clearly said 1 packet was good for an OG below 1050, remember that bit...
Yeast manufacturers (dry and liquid) need a slap oops upside the head for the claims they make on their packets.

Give the yeast time. Chances are it's going through a longer growth phase, feeding and colonising the wort than would be the case if you'd pitched a starter. Then it'll move on to the primary fermentation phase and you'll see activity.

Thanks, folks, if it's not going by the morning I'll deploy the Lalbrew London.

Also, Santa chucked a stir plate and an Erlenmeyer flask down the chimney earlier so I'll do starters from now on. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back