WLP300 - slow fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm using WLP300 for the first time in a hefeweizen. I was warned that it goes off like a rocket, blowoff tube needed etc. While it was pretty quick to get going and fairly lively it wasn't as bad as described, but it seems to be going forever! I pitched 11 days ago on 01/09/2020 and it's still putting bubbles through the blowoff every couple of seconds - when I checked gravity last Saturday after a week it had only come down by 25 points or so from 1055 to 1030, checked again on Monday and it was at 1020 and it I'd assume it's still moving. I'm used to US05 where everything's done in a couple of days. Is this normal for the strain???

No its not normal. I once had a pack that took ages to get going which i chucked. I turn mine around in 6 days. I would be inclined to pitch new yeast and hopefully you wont have any off flavours.
It didn't take ages to get going, it's taking ages to finish though. Tastes good when sampled, I don't think there's wild yeast in there - I've had wild yeast infect two batches in the past so I know what I'm looking for there.

Well, it finally stopped bubbling after 17 days and I bottled it today after 22. Sample taken during bottling was beautiful, good balance between clove and banana and very similar to the bottle of Weihenstephan I had a couple of nights ago. Can't believe it took that long though.

Latest posts

Back